Rumor Titans considering cutting Kevin Byard

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by KyTitansFan, Mar 15, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8Bruce8

8Bruce8 Starter

Yea but when he's been top echelon for a few years and arguably the best defensive player we've had he shouldn't take a pay cut. Had we been drafting well it would've made up for it.

Byard has been team captain for how long? Guys a baller, I get the cuts so for bit cutting/trading him doesn't make sense.

2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Didn’t Tom Brady on many occasions?

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

He’s way overpaid for a safety. Cap number is 20 mil. That’s why the Titans roster is so bad now with little cap space. JRob paid the wrong positions. This makes me hopeful that Ran sees it.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. KyTitansFan

KyTitansFan GM of GoTitans

There aren’t many Tom Brady’s left. He played the majority of his career in a different era.

5. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

we are already at 36 million in dead money this year, it makes no sense to cut Byard, but trading him may. Problem is I do not see another team willing to pay him 20 million

6. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Great post and 100% correct. JRob paid safety and RB, two of the least important positions, but decided not to pay AJ, who plays one of the most important positions. Not saying he should have let Byard go, but it appears KBs agent played him because nobody is paying $20 mil for a safety.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

Byard’s base salary is not 20mil…. It is 14mil which is the 9th most in the league… it is a fair deal for Byard…. Only reason his cap hit is 20mil this yr is because of his restructure last off season… I’m sure you could find a team willing to pay him 14 mil…

My guess is that the Titans actually talked to Byard's agent about his willingness to re-structure his deal and that Byard and his agent wanted an extension which the Titans weren't ready to do at this time. Oftentimes a re-structure is said to be a pay cut by the media which is totally wrong (Mahomes is being compared to Brady because he "took a pay cut" to save the Chiefs 9 mil in cap space by restructuring) But a restructure does not cost the player a single penny.

#48 Titans2004, Mar 18, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2023
  8. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

this team is dead in the water, they arent even trying to compete this year. trade tanne and henry before it's too late

• LOL LOL x 1
  9. Titansman1

Titansman1 Time To Start Crushing!

Well I think it’s becoming obvious that we aren’t just reloading but in rebuild mode. We’re pretty much completely purging the roster.

One of two things here if you ask me. In a couple years Ran will be viewed as a genius who walked in, saw the state of our franchise and revamped our entire roster and took us to the next level. Or he’s a bull in a China store that bulldozes through and completely wrecks us for years to come like O’Brien did the Texans.

Let’s hope it’s the former not the later!

#50 Titansman1, Mar 18, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar