Titans @ Chiefs Postgame Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Overall, a win against a team we should beat (too bad this did not happen in Cincy a few weeks back).

I do think that VY is continuing to improve each week. No bonehead plays this week, and he appears to be getting his legs back (or deciding to re-add this to his game). Receivers continue to be a weakness (more drops this week). LW looked pretty good, but we were not exactly playing a defensive juggernaut today.

Defense......oh boy. How can we continue to make these so-so offenses look like the Colts? Do we decide before the game that passes over the middle should not be defended (at least until the end of the game)? Didn't the Chiefs score a TD on a drive in which they incurred something like 30 yards in penalties???? Sad.... Griffin is continuing to improve, though, and Rey-Rey actually played in the game without getting torched (maybe the Chiefs didn't scout us hard enough).

All I want for Christmas is Schwartz out of Nashville.

As for the playoffs, I don't see it happening. The Browns are riding a wave now, as are the Jags. I would like us to win out for 08 momentum, but don't expect to get into the post-season this year. This year is the Patriots' year anyway....our time is coming.

2. MDTitansFan

MDTitansFan Guest

yeah well who drives down the field and gets them in field goal range...VY..and also...KC's pass defense is pretty good...it was their run D that sucked so VY did a pretty good job agianst a good pass defense

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The key to this game offensively was better production on first down.

Last week (and many previous games), it was the 25% zero or negative yardage on first down that put the Titans in second-and-long and more pressure on Young.

Today, here's the breakdown of first down plays:

Run for 2
    Run for 5
    Run for 7
    Incomplete pass
    Run for 5
    Run for -1
    Run for 5
    Run for -1
    Pass for 12
    Run for 1
    Pass for 20
    Scramble for 4
    Incomplete
    Run for 3
    Run for 3
    Pass for 41 (TD)
    Run for 14
    Run for -1
    Scramble for 3
    Run for 12
    Run for 8
    Run for -1
    Run for 5
    Run for 4
    Run for 4
    Kneel -1

We have 18 runs and 6 passes. Only seven getting zero or negative (including the kneel). Though it is still run-heavy, this was a poor rushing defense. If the goal is four yards or more on first down, the Titans did that 14 of 21 times. I take that kind of success all day.

Of course, this was the perfect match up for this offense and next week's will be as well. And when the pressure if off Young, he appears to be much more in command of the game.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I think we should go pass on 1st down more often.

5. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

The ironic thing about this and TJ's post is Solomon Wilcots' continuous whining (all 2nd half) about the Titans getting away from their game of running the ball. He was complaining that we were passing the ball too much on first down.

I noticed VY hobbling around in the 4th quarter. Is the quad injury still bothering him?

6. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

I saw more than a handfull of nicely thrown balls that Titan receivers dropped. Props to VY. I missed most of the first half though, how'd they do so well on their first series then do nothing a few possesions in a row?

Cincy looked pathetic Thursday, and Baltimore lost to Miami today. If you guys are routing for them to win to help us get in then good luck.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Cincinnati can do it. They have plenty of offense to get it done. They put up 51 on Cleveland last time. And they won.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I think the most amazing thing about all of this is that unless Pittsburgh, Jacksonville, and Cincinnati all win next week, we go to the final Sunday with a chance. And the Colts I believe have a tradition of resting the starters, or at least thinking about it when all is cinched.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar