Titans Can Win The AFC South

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, Aug 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

We have to win the games we're suppose to win, and steal a couple from the better opponents. We had no problem beating the Giants and Eagles last year, so I have hope we can win enough games to stick around after the Holidays.

2. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I think Houston is the team to beat this year. After two preseason games, Schaub is as sharp as I've seen him. Foster looks like the real deal and so does Tate. Their front seven on defense is much improved. They stop the run pretty well and they get pressure. Their secondary still sucks, but pretty much every other part of the team is better.

I hate to be a downer, but us taking the division from them would be a hell of an accomplishment. We would need playmakers Britt and CJ back on the field and need them to stay healthy all season. I think best bet for us is to challenge for a wildcard.

The Jags and Colts are very beatable. The Colts have lost their messiah for at least a little while. How quickly they pick back up when he returns remains to be determined. The Jags look like they are so screwed. It's funny because their fans still believe the Jags are light years ahead of the Titans. The Jags defense, like the Texans, is better. They stop the run at least. They have yet to register a sack. Their secondary still blows. Garrard looks awful. He's only played in their last preseason game, and maybe his play was the result of his lingering back injury, but he was just terrible. Gabbert has looked terrible in both preseason games. They're O-Line is missing starters and it gets shredded. In the last game, Gabbert was jumpy even when there wasn't pressure. He's already getting ruined by their O-Line in only two preseason games.

That's my current assessment of the AFC South.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Not to mention that Mo-JO's knee is a real issue.

The Texans SHOULD win the division. I think they need to lose a playmaker to injury or us get lucky and sweep them for us to take the division.

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I see the Texans games as tough. You can't dismiss the Jags either because the divisional games are always tough.

Of the games that you suggest as easy the:
    Broncos put up a lot of points at times last season.It was defense that let them down.
    The Browns and Bills played everyone tough and both were teams that played better than their records show.

I think we'll have to be a good team to more than 4-5 games. IMO we have a tough schedule.

5. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I too think Houston is the team to beat in the division but I think we can do it. I think they've made one key mistake in their offseason planning and that's standing up Mario Williams at OLB instead of his hand in the dirt as a DE. Having him and Watt on opposite sides at DE would have been a scary thing. Now, because of this I think it takes him time to adjust and their defense could be suspect.

If you think about it, our first team has won both games that they've played in and Hasselbeck has been money. I think he was 4-5 against MN and 7-9 against the STL. Our O-line has been opening HUGE holes that any of our RBs could be successful. But if CJ does sign and the O-line keeps playing the way they have I think he could have a season that looks more like his 2k season more than last year. I put a lot of the blame on his "decline" last year on the O-line.

One last thing. If we want to get into the playoffs, we HAVE to win the division. The AFC is stacked and will have some great races for the other division titles such as BAL and PIT then NE and NYJ. I think the loser of those 2 divisions get the wildcard and the wildcard teams will still have a better record than the winner of the South.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

A lot of optimism for a team that's breaking in a new starting QB, might not have it's two best offensive players to begin the season and is making wholesale changes on the defensive side ball.

A LOT of things would have to go our way for us to win 10+ games this year. Not impossible, but unlikely.

7. dbc5631

dbc5631 Starter

The defense will struggle this season, not enough playmakers. 8 wins is the ceiling. Headed in the right direction though.

8. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

Cleverly disguised Pro-Fisher post.

I kid. "Headed in the right direction though."

Welcome back. :cool:

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

There a lot of games that come down to a bounce going one way or the other. The Bucs became masters of winning those games last year and ended up with 10 wins. It's possible, but I don't see it happening.

10. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

I think Locker will need at least 1 full year under his belt before we realistically have a shot at the division. Defense still needs pieces.

I see us going 8-8 this season, starting off playing like crap and making a run towards the end of the season like usual.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar