Titans are the only team in the NFL without an analytics dept

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, May 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

His silence speaks volumes.

2. Tricky

Tricky Starter

Analytics departments are used in player evaluation, positional contract/cap strategy, and optimizing in game decisions. The coach and GM can choose to ignore the data, but to outright refuse to examine it and understand the potential impact is just blind arrogance.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Do those numbers change every year? I would think since analytics have been around for about 20 years used in sports, each year’s results don’t change the decision tree all that much.
    Player evaluation is a part that generally would be needed for the breakdown of plays and such PFF style but are those analytics people doing that?

I only say this for the idea that the formulas for each team should be the same and I’m pretty sure Vrabel has the “cheat sheet” for scenarios in game but just gambles anyway.
    based on that 4th qtr punt in the playoffs last year, we may have had an analytics person, but they quit right then and there knowing what their value to Vrabel was.

• LOL LOL x 2
    • High Five High Five x 1
  4. Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow Just a Fan....

A ton of money and time is saved just by having a staff who know's how to gauge game-speed calculated risk..

Anything outside of that, you're just giving a bunch of Calculus nerds a reason to have a letterman's jacket.... and remember Leonard Kraleman was just a character in a TV show (most won't get that reference without using Google)

We all know if you SIMULATE a result (whether it be workouts, season forecasts, offseason projections) 100x, you're bound to get a juicy result at least once...... That is literally all analytics is ...... a couple kids simulating the REGULAR SEASON in franchise mode so they can play the playoffs....

#24 Broken Arrow, May 19, 2021
    Last edited: May 19, 2021
  5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

yeah I disagree but to each their own...

football, as a true team game, makes analytics harder because what 1 guy is doing is in fact largely impacting at least the guys within arms reach of him and probably all his teammates. Lack of passrush exposing coverage for to long of a time as an example.

But analytics itself is quite useful when used properly. In other sports with larger sample sizes and less dependence on teammates for any given players performance, baseball in particular, analytics has triumphed over counter stats & tools

Even low level amateurs use analytics in baseball these days and ALL professional teams do. Because the numbers truly represent ability

I doubt football could ever be like that because of the interdependence

but knowing results of say an inside CB vs outside IS a thing and hopefully that obvious stuff is being used by the Titans even if they are not paying for an analytics person.

And other traditional football stats could be considered analytics... thinking of punt hang time here. Probably a crap ton of line drive punters before Ray Guy. I know lots of teams did not even have specialty kickers until the 50s possibly into 60s. Just used whichever lineman was best at it for the most part.

#25 GoT, May 20, 2021
    Last edited: May 20, 2021
    • High Five High Five x 3
  6. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

My algorithm predicted that.

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

Could be farmed out too through an agency and not an employee.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Plenty of ways to get the information. Just silly to think we are ignoring that side of things (especially when they specifically have mentioned looking at that data).

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Proof they are refusing to examine it?

10. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

You are correct that it’s hard to compare analytics across sports because the games are vastly different.

However, in baseball the large majority of analytics used all revert back to commonly used stats. It’s basically a way to look at every player without having to do your own math equation every time.

The ones that aren’t complied from common stats change based on what website you look at. So it’s not perfect.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar