Titans and Tannehill reach multi year agreement

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanfanatic, Mar 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vorsutus

Vorsutus Starter

The rapper?

2. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

Yeah I think he'll be in the upper half of the league throughout this contract, with top 10 potential. I'm really happy we didn't go after Brady.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Mberglo

Mberglo Starter

That's pretty impressive for Tannehill to lead that many categories. Hope he keeps it going in 2020!

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Yeah he was dominant in so many fashions last year. With essentially the same weapons this year, I’m hoping he can maintain that elite level.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

So many also forget that Art Smith was in his first year as a play caller. So Tannehill was a backup, had a rookie #1, and a rookie OC. But yet everyone thinks that his play was just a fluke and he HAS to regress.

No. He doesn't have to, and if you watch his game, it wasn't a bunch of short checkdown screens that were going the distance or guys running wide open due to some fancy offense that teams weren't prepared for. At times he was hitting guys in very tight windows, down the field, with pinpoint accuracy, and also seeing the field and distributing the ball to the open guy when it was there. He took what he was given and made the most of it.

Will probably seem like a weird comparison, but to me he looked like Alex Smith at KC, but with a much better arm. Smith was always known as a reserved, check-down charlie, with good athleticism and accuracy. Then he got to KC with Andy Reid and some of their playmakers and had an absolutely explosive season. Tannehill is in a very similar situation with weapons and a system that fits him, but he also brings an aboslute cannon for an arm.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  7. Msut10

Msut10 Starter

I was going to be mad if he didn't somehow lead the "with play-action category".

8. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I say he regresses at least a little due to law of averages. Some of the numbers he put up last year were just ridiculous to the point I would expect every QB to regress a little.

I’m sure we could find all kinds of examples throughout history of QB putting up numbers that are just too far of an outlier to expect a repeat of any kind.

That said, I still think Tannehill is about to set Titans franchise records (I know, the Oilers history exists too but in this case I’m talking Justin post move).
    I definitely can see the first 4K/30 TD season since Moon. I think those are realistic numbers and still be a “regression” based on the performance avg per game from last season.
    He happened to lead the league in all avg per att/comp/adjusted yards per att and rating. History says it’s unlikely for him to repeat all of that.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

His TD% may fall some, but I don't actually see a huge dip coming for his completion metrics. Our offense isn't predicated on beating teams on scheme alone, and his stats came from an outlier season. It's based on physically overpowering other teams so that they have to bring extra guys in to stop the run, and then letting Tannehill drop in PA passes behind the D.

Until teams start heavily investing in nose tackles and heavy thumping linebackers in their front 7, we'll maintain that advantage. Teams will be stressed to contain the run, so Tannehill will continue to have very efficient passing numbers.

Russell Wilson continues to put up extremely efficient stats year after year because he's helped out by a heavy run game. Tannehill can do the same with a better run game than Seattle has.

• High Five High Five x 3
  10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar