Titans and Collins Agree in Principle to Terms

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GoTitans3801, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Why #9?

We got collins as a stop gap backup in case volek goes down. The raiders got him as their franchise QB.

He came a lot cheaper for us then he did for them. We almost got him for nothing.

We got a backup QB who has started 150 nfl games. What the hell? He has more career TDs than ints and actually made a pro bowl once and led a team to a super bowl.

He has playoff experience and actually won more games than he lost in the post season.

It's all a matter of perspective. As a starter he is maybe the 25th-30th best QB but he is one of the better backups. We are paying chump change and didn't give up anything for him.

Good move...

2. eberry

eberry Camp Fodder

As far as the timing, how do we know that the Titans made the move instead of Collins finally accepting a take-it-or-leave-it offer the Titans had on the table all along?

3. Banger21

Banger21 Camp Fodder

I think signing Collins would have made sense if the Titans were planning on being in playoff contention this season. I know its only the preseason, but there certainly aren't many signs of the Titans being a playoff team this season. I don't see a reason to bring in Collins, Volek should be under center until we fall out of contention, then let VY take over and get some valuable experience. The Titans could be filling other holes instead with that money, even if its not alot.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree with Tide. No way the Raider fans have any reason to mock us considering Collins is as good as their starting QB and at one time they thought Collins was the savior who would take them to the promised land. Now he is a backup.

For those who think this is the end of Volek I'm not so sure about that. Volek is still our best QB for now. Heck, last game he could of had almost 200 yards passing in one half if not for the 40 yarder that got called back. Add in that our WRs haven't been ripping it up so far and our OL and run game stink Volek has done about as well as we should expect. How about that perfectly thrown bomb to Bennett? I seriously doubt that Collins is being brought in because they have issues with Volek. more than likely after Young banged his hand on a helmet and also twisted his ankle they realized that they were only a couple of plays away from having Mauck as the starter.

5. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

TJ- Obviously Collins didn't sign to be the #3 QB, but from a semantics standpoint he could be listed as our #3 on gameday. That way VY could get his few snaps a game. If Volek truely got hurt then you could just bring in Collins. This of course would inactivate VY and if Collins got hurt we would really be in deep trouble.

Fans won't be happy with VY as the 3rd QB knowing that he won't see action. Fans and Bud want to see VY. Even if it is just for a few snaps. Having VY active will keep butts in the seats late in the game even if it is a blowout because fans will want to see our future play.

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

What are you talking about, both Drew and Craig can play QB :))

7. BAMARON

BAMARON Camp Fodder

A few months ago I was opossed to bringing in Collins, but after the last couple of games, I feel like we need to bring in a whole boatload of new blood...
    Maybe they'll be fast learners...

As far as a playoff run, stranger things have happened...But I'm beginning to think the staff and FO are just trying to avoid last place in the division.

Hope I'm wrong

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

But once Collins goes in, Young can't. But I see where you are coming from.

At this point, I think anything can happen. I'm waiting to hear Fisher's comments on this signing.

9. fltitan

fltitan Guest

I agree with RollTide and Hoffa we need a decent backup regardless which one starts I just wish we would have signed him earlier. However we don't want to miss the best thing about siging Collins! Drew is going nuts right now. Maybe he will have a nervous brekdown worrying about how much money he will lose if Collins becomes the starter. Anything thats bad for Drew is great for the rest of us.

10. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

IMO, they are signing him because Volek looks like crap and Young isn't ready. Not to say I like it, but we've got to do something...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar