Titans’ O.J. Murdock dead at 25, police say he committed suicide

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Pro Football Talk, Jul 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

I have to confess I really didn’t know much about O.J. Murdock, the Titans’ wide-receiving prospect who committed suicide this morning in Florida, according to police reports.

He was signed as a free agent by the Titans in July of 2011, but he tore his Achilles tendon on the very first day of training camp last season and spent the year on injured reserve.

Murdock never reported to camp this year, due to what Titans coach Mike Munchak called “personal reasons.” Munchak had said Sunday night he thought Murdock might be arriving at camp today.

But in researching his college football career since the news of Murdock’s death, it looks like Murdock suffered through a long string of frustrations on and off the football field. Some of the problems appeared to be his own fault, while others were out of his hands.

Examples:
    • Murdock originally signed to play college football at South Carolina and redshirted his first year there. He began his second season behind current NFL-er Sidney Rice, caught one pass for eight yards and then was suspended indefinitely by Steve Spurrier for shoplifting in Florida during an open weekend for the Gamecocks in 2006. That move would lead to Murdock leaving South Carolina and enrolling at Pearl River Community College in Poplarville, Miss.
    • Murdock still had high hopes of getting his career back on track at Pearl River, but when he broke his collarbone during the first week of practice – he would only play two games that year – many of the bigger schools recruiting him backed away.
    • Marshall University tried to bring him into the fold, but Murdock reportedly had failed to take the right classes and fell short of his two-year degree, leaving him ineligible at Marshall. Tampa Bay Online quoted his mother, Jamesena, as saying, “That was a very depressing time for him. Nobody was calling him. He didn’t know where to go or what to do. He was in the dungeon.”
    • Murdock finally got back on the college football field at Division II Fort Hays State University in Kansas, where he played two seasons — 2009 and 2010. During his senior year, he opened the eyes of NFL scouts by catching 60 passes for 1,290 yards and 12 touchdowns, earning an invitation to the East-West Shrine Game and the NFL Scouting Combine.
    • That’s what led the Titans to give him a chance, but the torn Achilles on the first day of training camp in 2011 was yet another blow to Murdock’s aspirations.
    Source: Titans Insider

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Now I can almost see why he'd felt so bad. Nothing ever seemed to go as planned for him.

For some people that's obviously too much to keep taking.

3. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

That's so sad. You have to wonder if things could have been any different for him.

4. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

Hass tweeted a pic of his locker, sad.

[​IMG]

5. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I got the news from a ScoreCenter update on my phone this morning. I have to admit, I had no idea who he was. Very sad, nonetheless.

R.I.P.

6. JCBRAVE

When I saw the news I was thinking Michael Preston, he's another young WR for us, but I've tweeted back and forth a few times so I was realllly thrown off cause that guy seems really cool. But I did know OJ was on our team, surprised you of all fans didn't know who he was.

7. JCBRAVE

Anybody think we wear his number on our helmets? He may have never played in a game for us, but he was a guy all the players knew.

8. memphis_raven

memphis_raven Starter

Very sad, way too young. RIP

9. Titaneers

Titaneers Ultimate Player

The story is also on ESPN...
    to be honest... i don't think i've ever seen a positive story on espn about us (britt's injury/arrest, OJ) >.<

10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Suicide is stupid. If this is football related, it is ultra stupid.

If you have a terminal desease, it's one thing. if you're 25 with a full life ahead and a chance at a pro career, it is not acceptable. I know depression is strong, but when there are people who love and care about you, it is stupid.

Sorry to sound insensitive, but suicide is the coward's way out.

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar