Titans’ Griffin on contract, defense, charity

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Titans safety Michael Griffin fielded a number of questions on Monday about the possible return of former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams.

But here are a few other tidbits from Griffin:

First of all, here’s what Griffin had to say about the status of his contract, which allows the Titans to cut him during a five-day window following the Super Bowl. If he remains on the roster at that point, he’s owed a $3.5 million base salary and a $1 million roster bonus.

Titans coach Mike Munchak said at the end of the season that he expected Griffin back in 2013, but Griffin hasn’t received confirmation from the team.

“They haven’t told me anything,” Griffin said. “Right now, I just started working out last week and going from there. I’ve made my bed, now I gotta’ lay in it. I’ve just got to go from there, try to get better and get back to form.”

Second, here’s what Griffin had to say about prospects for the defense in 2013, considering the unit – despite a very bad overall 2012 — made some progress in the latter half of the season.

“This team now is getting older,” Griffin said. “The first two years we were freshmen and sophomores. Now you’ve got guys going into their third years. We’re not rookies, not second-year guys anymore.

“You’ve got Jurrell Casey stepping his game up, Sen’Derrick Marks stepping his game up. Now it’s just the back half, the safeties especially, it’s time for us to step our games up. No more excuses. It’s time for us to get things turned around and get back on track.”

Third, here’s what Griffin had to say about his appearance at Hunter’s Lane High, where Papa John’s and Pepsi presented over $8,500 to Griffin’s Sacks 4 Kids program. The program provides sacks of healthy foods and snacks for kids to take home on weekends, when they otherwise might not have access to nutritious meals.

“I have a fiancée and she works at (an elementary school), and one of the things she does is she sometimes packs lunches and stuff for the kids to take home throughout the weekend (when they’re not provided with school lunches),” Griffin said. “So this was an opportunity that presented itself and I thought it was a cool idea to go forth with it. Again, kids are our future and just being able to give back to the community, I think that’s a positive thing … The only thing you ask for in return is a smile.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

Those kids at school his wife feeds better be getting steak and lobster with his contract.

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Griffin is the only nfl caliber safety we have on the roster. How do you get rid of him?

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

At least he says they were bad. Time to put up or shut up.

5. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Good attitude.

I'va almost changed my attitude slightly one HIS attitude lately.

But that's because he's about to help me out quite a big deal... and in doing so shows some humility. The whole knowing the safeties need to step up is good rather than shrugging it off- what I've seen him do in the past.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Here's what Griff actually has to say about his contract

• High Five High Five x 3
  7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

cause hes allergic too contact. Unless hes getting trucked by a scatback or otherwise abused while attempting too tackle.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

He's mighty low on that totem pole of nfl calibre...

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Just 370 or so days til we cut this guy.

10. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

We have an option to cut him in 5 days after the Super Bowl and can get out of his contract.... Wouldn't surmise me.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar