Titan Pro-Bowlers - we have 2.......

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Chapparal97, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

A real class act, I knew the kid was a stand up guy. My new favorite Titan.

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Mariani was one of the few points of light in an otherwise dark season...

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

It got higher TV ratings last year, so yeah Goodell was going to play it the same time once again

I personally still enjoy it better as a post-Super-Bowl "one last game, during which to remember the season"

4. CrunchGriz

CrunchGriz Special Teams Standout

Mariani in the record books again...

Just thought someone ought to point out here amongst all the sturm and drang over a head coach's firing and a QB's worthiness that MM83 did the Titans proud once more in the Pro Bowl.

Admittedly, the Pro Bowl is a joke of a game, but some guys actually put forth some effort.

Cases in point:

Pro Bowl record for most kickoff returns, single game - Marc Mariani, 9 (2011)
    Pro Bowl record for most kickoff return yardage, single game - Marc Mariani, 326 yds. (36.2 yds/return) (2011) (broke the old record by almost 100 yds.)

Mariani had almost as many yards as the entire AFC offense without him could muster.

Pretty dang good for a seventh-round rookie--and he looked a helluva lot better than Devin Hester for the NFC.

Whoever the Titans hire, he'd better sign Mariani, or MM will haunt you like some of the Titans' former trades have.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

I've been the biggest Mariani supporter on this board, but if you have nine returns you should have at least 250 yards. Factor in the fact that no one really tries in the Pro Bowl and you should have more.

The AFC defense did him a huge favor.

6. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

And I'd trade Mariani and then some for Hester in a heartbeat.

7. ColtKiller

ColtKiller Starter

Well yeah... Hester is the best ever according to everyone except Gloat.

8. CrunchGriz

CrunchGriz Special Teams Standout

MM in the Pro Bowl

I never said MM was better than Devin Hester, just that he looked a helluva lot better than Hester on Sunday.

And, as to the point that:

"Factor in the fact that no one really tries in the Pro Bowl and you should have more."

...you've got to take into consideration that even though no one is trying their best in the Pro Bowl, that also includes kickoff return blockers, too.

MM wasn't exactly getting great protection out there. There weren't a lot of special teams regulars playing on either side's special teams, either covering or blocking, so a lot of them were probably new to the job (or hadn't done it in years).

MM still averaged over 36 yds/return compared to 20 yds/return for Hester. According to your logic, against this type of coverage All-World Devin Hester "should have had waaaay more" than what he got.

And, no matter how you cut it, MM's return yardage is far above the next best in history in this game, and his average per return is in the top five all-time, as well.

Seems worthy of note to me.

Maybe some would just prefer that he mail it in like some of the others did.

9. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Is that what is seen when the head is examined???

10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

If Hester had nine returns I'm sure he would have done just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar