Time to not let Chow call plays

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by deeluxx3, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Yeah. the new "improved" pocket passer Young is Boring. I hate it that it looks like he's cowering away from running, when that's what makes him VY.
    Seems like we wouldn't have done much worse today if we had punted on every first down. Well,even then, they would've been blocked.

Vince Didn't deserve to win today, but it's good that we have somebody to pick up the slack when our leader chokes miserably.

2. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

You should print that on a T-shirt and send it to him. For motivation, of course.

3. Titans256

Titans256 Starter

But that last interception wouldn't have happened had we RAN the ball...

And we may've scored a TD during that last drive before halftime had we THROWN toward the END ZONE (you WONT score if you dont try).

Of course everybody and their Mama's are looking for the obvious pass toward the end zone.

Of course everybody and their Mama's are looking for a run at the end of the game to milk the clock....but you dont try to moonwalk on a tight-rope. You just dont do it.

Norm Chow better learn from Mike Shula and Dave Rader...GO FOR THE THROAT DANGIT!

Now with that said, this game doesn't deserve going into the 'W' column. The boys on offense played like crap. But the defense could be nicknamed 'House of Pain part 2"

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Why knock the play calling when we have slow receivers(moulds) and no threat to go down the field? Teams feel they can do what they want to us without repercussions. They can blitz safeties and our response is a 5 yard gain.

Signing moulds was a bad move because now we have this slow guy who averages 8 yards a catch as prominent in the passing game.

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

It looks to me like Chow's plays are very well scripted in that on passing plays in particular for the most part we have one primary reciever and the rest are nothing mroe than decoys. It looks wonderful when it works but when the guy who is supposed to get the ball happens to be well covered VY is deep @#$%. There was one play were VY looked off the S and then turned and fired the ball to the WR. Only problem was the guy was well covered but VY never even looked at the WR. He had already made is mind up to throw the ball and we were lucky that pass wasn't picked off. VY also needs to work on being able to throw over defenders into tight spots. Seems like if there is a defender between him and the WR he can't arch the ball over the defenders head very well which is why he threw one int. Thankfully VY has become much better at swing passes.
    IMO Chow and the Titans might be making the same mistake Texas started to make with VY when they tried to force him into a more traditional role. When they simplified the offense and gave VY the freedom to improvise he was a dominant player.

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

To be fair, we don't know how much of that is on Young vs. Chow. The fact that Young seems to quickly lock on one target is imo not of Chow's coaching.

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

My complaint about the playcalling yesterday was just that we were asking Young to pass too much, especially in downs where it would have risked little to just run it. Isn't that what you were asking for him to do, deelux? I'd say he listened to you, and we looked terrible for it.

Let's go back to what we're good at, running the football a lot, wearing teams down, and grinding it out.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

We are not good at running the ball. We are averaging just 3 yards a carry(RBs) since the jacksonville game. We are losing the battle at the line of scrimmage on run plays and teams are loading up with 9 men in the box and seem to have no fear that we can make big plays down the field. They blitz us and we don't make them pay for that.

Dude what game were you watching our RBs couldn't get to the line sometimes.

9. deeluxx3

deeluxx3 Camp Fodder

No, I didnt say to pass it. My "pass instead of run" rant was about our playcalling in the redzone against the Colts and Jags. Since then, I like our RZ calling more. SO, no, he didnt listen to me. It was pretty obvious that we should have ran when we passed, but since Chow is this "genius" that so many makes him out to be, passing is OK.

My question is this--where are the QB draw plays? Where are the run-pass options with Vince? Chow is trying to make Vince another Matt Leinart and it aint gonna happen. He and the other coaches did say that they wanted VY to not be so quick to run, which I understand, but it seems like Vince is scared to run this year. It's annoying and its hurting our team.

10. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Again, Moulds was open multiple times downfield yesterday and Vince did not see him. He had him open one time running the seam 20-30 yds down field and nothing. Maybe Vince was under pressure and could not pick him up...but he had separation on a few routes yesterday that would have been big gains had the ball gotten to him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar