Time for a new direction

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ncaalover12, Sep 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RTH

RTH Meh...

I didn't say it was the best route for the NFL... just said it's the future because that's what the NCAA is giving "us".

#281 RTH, Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I think some teams stick to their guns about pocket passers. I’d say if anything, the running QB will still be selectively taken, and predominantly by teams that are not run well. Not to say there won’t be exceptions. So in general, I think it’s only part of the future but the same old, same old is also still going to be in the future.

I honestly don’t think many teams are seeing what Jackson is doing and saying, hey, we need a QB like that. The bar is still set on career dominating QBs like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Manning, Rivers. They’re just harder to find, and some teams don’t care enough to look (or give time to develop) which is probably why they continuously are the top teams drafting QBs.

I’ll give the Titans credit for their poor QB selections. They didn’t fail due to lack of opportunity to succeed. We rode the VY, Locker, and Mariota trains for too long before moving on. The s**ty part is, I’m not 100% convinced that they were all trash when drafted, but we did nothing to actually develop them into good NFL QBs.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

A lot of these things are kinda cyclical in my opinion. Teams find success with west coast offenses and scramblers. Defenses adjust with defenders that are better in pursuit than coverage. Then some coach has a crazy idea to have a polished passing game to exploit defenses that don’t cover. Has success. Other teams follow. Defenses adjust. Recruit players better in coverage. The cycle starts again.

I continue to point out the parallel of teams topping the league in rushing and teams that make the playoffs in the NFL. With rule changes favoring the passing game, look at how defenses have been reformed. There’s a heavy premium on coverage db’s and pass rushers. It’s exploitable with a decent run game.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. RTH

RTH Meh...

Pro-style isn't as effective in NCAA because it requires time to get good, but that's useless when your average players - specifically good players - are typically only around probably 2 years.

But one could argue drafting a QB from a pro-style college program is a good idea for a backup.

However, there's still the issue of quality of Olineman coming out of college, in my opinion.

5. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Can’t argue the OL thing. I agree.
    The running style success in college is hurting the OL because they can look good against weak DL, but never truly learn how to protect a QB that stands still and needs the block.

Some of these running guys would probably prefer school yard crap where all 10 guys just run out for a pass.

The pro style QBs may not succeed at the college level but good scouts should be able to find the. And develop them.

I really think the college playoff hurts too. Basically all the talent that wants to win, goes to the teams in those 5 conferences. Anyone Div 1 AA not in those 5 have a zero chance of ever winning where they did (however small) have a chance prior to the playoffs.

It puts all the talent in 5 conferences and probably limits where scouts even bother to look. Less programs to run pro style too.

I think this touches on so many different aspects too.
    The other part about QB development the NFL has taken a hit from is the shorter off-seasons. A guy that just runs around doesn’t need to learn how to run around.

6. RTH

RTH Meh...

Too many programs to scout, probably, also. At least not thoroughly.

7. ncaalover12

ncaalover12 Starter

Alright, I was way wrong on this. To be in position to win the division after everything that has happened this year is outstanding. I really thought this team was done after that Thursday night asskicking by the Hags.

Kudos to Vrabel, his coaches, and Jon Robinson especially for bringing in Tanny. God, what a huge improvement he has been over Marcus. Hopefully I didn't just jinx us with this!

8. Statz916

Statz916 Starter

and to think we aren't even paying Tannehils contract this yr.

9. cozmicfool

cozmicfool Starter

Had this conversation with a friend of mine, but I'd rather not get a top tier studs. Looking at the numbers teams bust just as much at the top of the draft as they do late first round and early 2nd. I'd rather we drafted a QB a bit lower. At least it you miss it's not as catastrophic to the future of the team.

10. RTH

RTH Meh...

We did take a new direction, but...

Dual-threat QBs are the FUTURE!

SOOO many in the championship games!

Oh...

• LOL LOL x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar