Time for '04 and '05 Draft Class to Step Up

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: If the Tennessee Titans are to see success this season, it'll be in part to many in the draft class of 2004 and 2005 making a bigger impact on the team. In '04, the Titans drafted DEs Antwan Odom, Travis LaBoy and DT Randy Starks. Due to a number of reasons, none of the three have lived up to their potential. On the other side of the ball, three WRs were drafted in '05 and will be counted on to step up and replace the loss of Drew Bennett and Bobby Wade. the hope is WRs Brandon Jones, Roydell Williams and Courtney Roby will fulfill their potential.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Some good comments from the coordinators on the side of this article.

3. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I think we still have some question marks at certain positions, but overall we are so much better off than last year I have some encouragement we might be respectable. At least we don't have the fiasco of last season, where we wasted so much time getting positions worked out. Hopefully this preseason we can just tweak what we have, and see where we are. I think at the very least the offense will be better, and that alone will help the defense with some time of possession. If Tullock/Fowler can step up, Rien Long is healthy and our secondary can improve, it could be a fun year.

4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Sounds like Chow is down on LenDale in those comments:

Chow says: "That's the guy you have to really count on. I think he has to mature and grow up and be ready to take 250 carries if he's going to be the guy. That's why everybody is harping on him to get into shape and on and on. It's a tough position to play."

And I found it really intersesting that Kuharsky felt Roydell Williams may have emerged as the number one WR and Brandon Jones apparently was inconsistent as he was moved around.

Expectation: Potential playmaker was probably the top guy going into the offseason, but it sounds like Williams and Roby moved by him in offseason. The Titans want steady, dependable play.
    Chow says: "He played OK for us last year. We tried to move him around and play him in a lot of different spots. I'm not sure that's the best thing for him. If he can settle in at one spot, he might be more effective."

5. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Riverman, the comment about Roydell and Jones was the interesting part of that to me as well. I was surprised, but it's nice to hear about someone else actually impressing. I'd love to see two of the three WRs from that draft finally be productive.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I remember during their rookie pre-season, Roydell made a few nice downfield catches. I thought he would emerge as the number one then, but he didn't. He started dropping a few and then just didn't many opportunities after that. I'll be interested to see if it holds.

7. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

Jones will be the guy. It was OTAs. Just watch Jones play the later games last season, especially the Bills game. He was on fire. He and Young have chemistry together, and it will only improve this year. I'm glad to hear Roby and R. Williams are stepping up a bit though. I think Williams could be a great player. Jones seems like a better choice for #1 WR though. He's faster and quicker. But Williams is a nice WR. He made some good plays when given a chance over the last couple of seasons.

What we really need to fix our receiving situation is a QB who is more consistent. Young should know the system better now, and the players he will be throwing to. He should also have developed some better technique and accuracy. I expect big things from him this year.

8. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

I agree Jones should have a breakout year this year.

9. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I say this a lot, but don't forget that Williams was fighting some hand/wrist injuries last year, so I'm not too worried about the drops. It also sounds like he's one of the faster guys we have. He made a pretty tough clutch catch at the end of the Giants game last year... I'm hoping that's the real Roydell. If both he and Roby/Jones step up Vince should have a good year.

10. stillmatic23

stillmatic23 Guest

I cant believe we started 0-5 lastyear. I remember hopeing we were not the last team to get a win. i think the raiders,cleveland,cardinals,lions and some others had no wins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar