Breaking News Tim Kelly to join Titans staff

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dman5TX, Feb 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

I’m not advocating for him to be the OC. But Vrabel wanted to interview Tim Kelly for OC I believe before he hired LaFluer or maybe it was after Art left. Texans denied him the interview though.

People get so caught up in certain stats etc when analyzing coaches. The NFL playbook has a lot of similarities. A lot of teams run the same stuff/concepts. Bad coaches look good with great players (Adam Gase & Peyton Manning). The reverse is true as well good coaches can look bad with bad players.

How many people thought Arthur Smith was a great hire for OC? He was an after thought TE coach whose biggest check mark was he had survived all the coaching changes made in Tennessee.

Like when a QB gets drafted to a bad team vs a good team. It’s all about what situation you are walking into.

FWIW, many people thought Davis Mills was the best looking rookie QB this year. And Kelly has been there for Watson entire career. He’s at least for some QB success on his resume. Downing is the OC for the entire year next year but I do think it could be Kelly’s job if Downing can’t turn the ship around.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

We had top 5 offense before Downing and added Julio Jones. The ship was just fine until Downing arrived. Our qb has regressed under him period.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  3. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Either way you slice it, this doesn't look good for Downing at all. I'm sure he knows he's on the hot seat now and will be demoted at the drop of a dime.

Glad we made this hire.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
  4. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

If we have the same dramatic swing in offense that we had in defense in bringing on Schwartz… ima be happy.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Our offense regressed because our QB regressed. Hard for me to blame all of that on Downing. Because Tannehill was worse in year 2 with Art as well. This next year will be telling. We also had a lot of injuries on offense and that shouldn’t be overlooked.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. wrench248

wrench248 Pro Bowler

At the very least, maybe Kelly can have an affect on the first down play calling and get the Titans to be a little bit more balanced running/passing.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

He’s low key going to be the offensive coordinator hopefully he turns the offense around just like Schwartz did for the defense

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

They might wind up better because they are forced to bring in new coaches.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

I do blame Downing for 50 plus yard run and first and goal (Henry back and Foreman running well) , and he calls a screen to Chester Rogers that at best case gets 2 yards and killed us, when we run the ball score game over! He does not have a good feel for game with raiders or here.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Sure I blame Downing for that horrendous play call as well.

But I don’t blame him for throwing late to a wide open Julio on the first play or the last play when the TE was wide open underneath.

Downing is far from perfect but we have to stop coddling our QB. He’s paid the like man he needs to be the man.

Notice how OC never matter to great QB’s? How they have great seasons regardless of who calls plays…?

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • Pigeon Bomb Pigeon Bomb x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar