Tiger Woods: Not marketable?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Alex1939, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Like I said. He's great. But if he were an old white guy like 90% of golfers...who would care? (other than old white guys, of course)

2. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

gloat you can't even compare him to anyone from the past though. Only nicklaus has more majors and I would say nicklaus is very marketable also, even to this day. Phil mickelson is the next best golfer now and he's a white guy and is also one of the top 5 athletes in terms of money. Why is phil mickelson so marketable then if he's your typical white golfer?

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Phil Mickelson has endorsements? I don't get how these guys are getting so much money. Tiger has a gatorade, buick, and nike? Oh...and gillette. Those guys must have a separate fund just for golfers or something where they have money overflowing and need to get rid of it.

4. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

I don't think the disagreement was about the "most confident". I think (not to speak for Alex, but because I tend to agree) the disagreement is about "the classiest" and "not coming off as arrogant".
    His very audible "fits" on the course in view of the public and tv along with his "blackballing" of some media members whose questions or comments he does not like..... not to mention his "in your face fist pump" are far from the class of Ben Hogan, Byron Nelson, Arnold Palmer, Fred Couples, Jack Niklaus, etc....
    Same can be said as far as arrogance goes. He won't even make eye contact with the fans....and again, I go back to the over the top - in your face fist pump.
    As a life long golfer..... he is the most amazing thing I have ever seen and will most likely be the greatest player EVER before all is said and done. But..... even if I give up the "classy" part of the argument, I can't concede the "not arrogant" part.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

:what:

That's exactly what I meant.

6. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

I've been to the tour championship a couple times when it was hosted in houston. Tiger in the practice rounds and on the practice green actually interacts with the fans quite a bit. I have also seen him play in a couple pga championships and there he is much different. Very few athletes interact with the fans when they're actually in competition. But the couple times i've been up close with him at the tour championship (in the practice round) he was always very cordial with the fans. And no one on tour thinks his fist pumps are "in your face" fist pumps. They are not like touchdown dances in football they are just raw emotion. If he was doing in your face fist pumps when he knocked in the 2 footer to win the us open he would have done a big fist pump in roccos face. I judge his class based on the opinions of pga golfers not on the occasional media members who watch golf 4 times a year and bash him.

7. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

First, I watch golf more than 4 times a year and have been to tournaments as well.

Second, I don't know the opinions of the other PGA golfers other than what they say in the media. We both know they are not going to say anything negative. I don't think you know there actual opinions either unless you have had private personal conversations with some of them.

Third, The media members (99% anyway) don't bash him. They are afraid to say anything. Ask Jim Grey. He made comments about his "slump" (as many did when he was changing his swing) and when Grey had post round interviews as players came off the course.... Tiger was a total jerk to him and tried to embarass him on national television.

Fourth, That is where I base my opinions.... instances like that with Grey and with comparisons to those like Hogan, Couples, Nelson, etc.... I just don't picture that type of fist pump from them. That type of "class" is another thing that makes golf different from the NBA, NFL, etc....

Just my opinion, as you have yours.

I hate that he is injured.... especially now.....
    I just got my Ryder Cup tickets in the mail!!!!!

Sorry so long...I just rediscovered the thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar