Thoughts...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gut, Dec 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

What does this team need to be a perennial SB contending team...not a perennial we hope to be the sixth seed (last wild card spot)?

For me...

On Offense, I'd start with the OL. And that means everyone not named Lewan. The weakest links are at OG and RT. We've had some games where Mariota has nowhere to go because both Spain and Conklin are getting beaten on the same play. Conklin is an issue since he's not only a 1st round draft pick, but we gave up a total of a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks for him. But he's been getting killed...and when that happens...Mariota gets crushed. Additionally, Spain has played so poorly at times he's been benched. I like Jones and might even slide him to OG if I can find a top OC. We need to bring in some talent in the OL that can protect and open holes in this system. Some sacks are definietly on the WR's not getting open, the OL being bad, the OL not letting us have a running game putting us in a lot of 3rd and longs, and Mariota holding the ball too long. Fixing the OL helps the run game, our consistency in staying in 3rd and manageable, and giving Mariota time to throw.

The next two spots are TE and WR. What is the future for Delanie Walker next year? And with Smith gone...what's next? Would be great to find the next Delanie to groom (though I think that was the idea behind Smith). Additionally, we could use another quality WR. Davis looks like the real deal and Taylor has exploded onto the scene...but think where this offense could be if we had traded our 1st next year for Amari Cooper!

On Defense it starts with our pass rush. We've done well at times and not gotten home for other stretches. Harold looks like the real deal...but not sure how much Morgan or Rak have left. Might need another stud rusher. I like how our LB's have played for the most part and Evans has been coming on...but Woodyard isn't gonna play at this level forever...so gonna need to groom someone for that eventuality. Can always add a stud SS or CB! But our secondary looks a lot better when our pass rush is getting home.

Thoughts...?

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

A serious pass rusher good enough to force teams to game plan against. LB that can cover and blitz at any given moment. We may have the latter.

An OL capable of blocking for both a running game and a QB to stand in the pocket.

3. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

NT, edge rush, and a new interior OL. To be perinneal SB contenders, though? Probably a HOF quarterback.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. HurrayTitans!

I only disagree to the extent that Baltimore has been playoff regulars for a lot of flacco’s career.
    Mcnabb is another one.

Staying patient with a decent QB can pay off, provided he isn’t directly costing games, ie limiting the TO.

5. Tuckfro42

Yeah, well the key word is “perinneal”. That doesn’t mean once every 5 or 10 years.

6. HurrayTitans!

I guess that’s a subjective term then. Tom brady is literrally 1of a kind and happened to matchup with another in bellicheck.

If that’s perennial, then there is zero game planning for that ever. That is absolute luck only.
    If perennial playoff contender and potential SB participant is what “perennial” means in this instance, then I think that’s more of a planable thing. Alex Smith was another post season regular.

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

@Gut

I think Cooper would still be deactivated until he learned 110% of the playbook because Titans WR

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. Tuckfro42

Plenty of teams have been “perinneal” SB contenders at one point in time. 70’s Steelers. 80’s 49ers. 90’s Cowboys and Bills. “Perinneal” isn’t a subjective word. It has a clear definition.

9. titansrule00000

titansrule00000 Pro Bowler

Lewan sucks too just not as bad as the other lineman! Since he got his paycheck he hasn’t done much of anything!

10. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

His coiffer is still top notch

• LOL LOL x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar