Thompson Adjusting to Position Change

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Lamont Thompson is moving from free safety to strong because of the addition of free agent Chris Hope. However, the role of playing strong safety has changed in recent years and the two safety positions now share many of the same responsibilities where pass coverage skills are key yet run support is still required. The result is a hybrid style of defensive back who must bring the big hit when needed but has the ability to stay with a receiver. Second-year player Vincent Fuller is in this mold as are rookies fourth-round pick Calvin Lowry and seventh-rounder Cortland Finnegan. "It's always an advantage when you have bigger bodies that can run and cover," Hope said. "When you have an ability to bring in safeties that can run and cover and work in space against slot receivers, you don't have to put in the cornerback or nickelback in who specializes in coverage so it takes away from the run defense."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Sledge

Sledge Guest

Thompson needs to learn how to tackle and how not to trip over his own dreads. He's got speed and has a rep of being a big hitter (when he doesn't miss the ball carrier) so he needs to concentrate on re-learning how to tackle and he could be very solid at SS

3. Titansfan10

Titansfan10 Camp Fodder

didnt really think he was known to be much of a hitter...got yaa i agree with you when you say he's got speed...but it isnt something that really stands out, at least no yet considering he gets burnt...a lot....usually....

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

he's laid out a few people.

I wonder where elfinmagic is?

5. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

i remember being @ the game in carolina back in 03 when he laid muhammad out cold, the game had to be stopped cause he hit mushin so hard.....

6. Brian

Brian Big Fan

He's still making a living off that one hit. Hasn't done much since.

7. Sledge

Sledge Guest

yeah because I think he was playing out of position. I think he's a better SS than FS... He's just not good in coverage

8. Sledge

Sledge Guest

Coming out of college he was known as a big hitter. I guess that wore off...

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I totally agree.

Talk last year is that he over-compensated for the rookie CBs and Tank being a gimp. We should know this year if that was true.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

what do people think of his play in 2004?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar