This is why BA moved out of cow town

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GoT, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

GoT already addressed the fact that Houston was too cheap to build a real stadium for the Oilers and wanted them to stay in the astrodome which was way too small only 53,000 seats and had no where near the number of high priced suites and boxes that other stadiums had.

The issue with franchise value has a lot to do with stadium age. Teams with the newer stadiums are normally valued higher because of depreciation. The difference in value could almost entirely be from that.

Bud got a great deal here and the genius of the move was that he had a team in the geographic center of a state that loved football and was growing in population. Locating to Nashville instead of Memphis and identifying the team with the whole state was smart.

So we can end all this small market crap now?

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

RollTide, would you consider the term "small market" to perhaps be a function of population of fans? I know there's no real accurate way to quantify fan population, but I've been looking on the web for a complete list merchandise sale rankings.
    search results Again and again the Cowboys, Steelers, Patriots, and Colts and teams with more recent success like the Saints top those lists. Of course included are the Jets and the Giants. Also, in the OP article it cites another journal article that ranks teams in terms of ease of fanhood, that is, how "easy" the team is to root for. Tennessee isn't really getting the fan attention another similarly sized team gets, like say the Colts, on account of Peyton Manning, the winning, the lack of scandal and general stability that brand is known for. Could it be that success grows market share? Third, about stadiums, and I suppose you may have a good point from a balance sheet point of view, but isn't it true that often times the case is a city owns a stadium and may even be responsible for it's maintenance? I know this varies from case to case, but wouldn't that detract from the stadiums themselves, as a general indicator of the greater financial picture?

3. TackHammer56

TackHammer56 Starter

I'll give you that moving a team to a state with zero football wasnt a bad idea.You get a lock on the entire state. But given the size of Texas and Hou. being the fourth largest city in the US,and being a financial power house in the US I would say we have a larger market and money to spend.Remember that Texas added more jobs in the last year then the entire US combined.
    Again ......That you guys are listed at 18 in the NFL is pretty good all things considered.
    Oh ....if Bud would have hung around till Hou got a different mayor he would have got his stadium. The mayor and Bud hated each other going back to college.
    You guys will get to see Buds temper tantrums when things get a little rough.

Oh...and the GDP of Hou.7.95% of the US. The GDP of the entire state of Tn. is 1.72 % So yes our market is bigger,as well as our spending power.
    Dude it's no knock on Tn. You dont have a port,you dont have oil.
    To try and argue about this is silly.

Did TN. build that billion dollar stadium for Bud? I didnt think so......so tell me again what he gained in leaving??

4. TackHammer56

TackHammer56 Starter

Oh yeah.....The entire population of TN. is 6,346,105. Houston area population 5,946,800.
    So if we assume that nobody else in Texas follows the Texans and all the pop. of TN follows the Titans you would have an edge in numbers. But we know that isnt the case.

5. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

There's more Cowboy fans in Houston than there are Titan fans in Nashville...

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

That's because they know the Houston Texans suck @$$.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. TackHammer56

TackHammer56 Starter

Dont know where you would get those numbers so I really cant say.
    But the numbers I gave are out there for anyone who wants to look them up.
    But Dullass does have a big following....these days I'm not sure why. I hate Shiitzburg almost as much as Dullass though. Any team who calls themselves "Americas Team" deserves nothing but scorn in my opinion.

8. TackHammer56

TackHammer56 Starter

I wouldnt be talken to much trash.....it looks like you guys are in for a rough one this year.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Dude, RollTide is never going to understand market size. He thinks the Nashville market is the same as the NY market and anyone that disagrees is retarded.

10. TackHammer56

TackHammer56 Starter

Not the sharpest TACK in the box is he!!LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar