This is NOT year one of re-building

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Mar 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

OK- I've been patient. I've waited for MR's plan to slowly unveil and see the "value" FA's we've picked up. I've accepted that some of our mid-level players (who happen to be "key") were released to test the market. I've accepted, but not understood why we re-signed players like Collins, Hartstock and other PS players. I've been patient while other mid-level players have been signed.

IMHO, MR is approaching this off-season like this is year one of re-building. Granted the FA market is not as strong this year and contracts are ridiculously high, but we haven't even signed ANY mid level players. And this "2 secret visitors" stuff is crap. I've got a bad feeling that MR is in WAY OVER HIS HEAD with this GM thing. We haven't filled one hole solidly IMO.

Releasing Henry appears to have been a mistake. Releasing Wade appears to have been a mistake. I can accept Bennett- no way he's worth deal he got.

Something good had better happen soon. Otherwise the Titans should plan on showing how much cap space we have on the jumbo-tron as the final seconds of each game ticks off. I sat through too many games watching us get ripped apart with lower tier players while we were in cap hell. I'm gonna be really pissed if I have to do the same why we are in cap heaven.

Get Busy Reinfeldt. Get your head out of your @$$.

2. So what if this isn't the first year of rebuilding? We're better off not blowing cap room on overpriced players who aren't going to make us a contender anyway...

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

4. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

You made your exact point though. These free agents are not the best free agent class. Better to save some money for next year.

5. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Lendale White better be ready next year because Travis Henry did make us a contender.

6. Riverman

One game away from the playoffs. I beg to differ. IMO, we were a few players away from a play-off spot. I agree that multi-year deals on mediocre players are not worth it, but a few gaps could have been filled at a reasonable price. Can anybody say with certainty that next years FA's are going to be that much better?

Penny wise, pound foolish. Unless I'm missing something player development-wise, we have taken SEVERAL steps backwards.

Come on SK- do you really think MR has done above a "C" job thus far? I support conservative use of our cap space- but we proportionately we haven't used MUCH at all.

7. Riverman

:moon2: :ha:

8. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I would say I wouldn't be handing out final grades a quarter into the semester.

This is a rebuilding year; our core is talented, young, but still missing pieces. We don't have any players who are going to be too old in two years (who can't be replaced anyway). There are key players (Young, White, Bell, Tulluch, etc) that still need to develop for a strong playoff run. This is not the year to pay for over-priced, moderately talented players so early.

There is tons of offseason work left to do. I've gotten tired reading all the negative attitudes coming out. All I can tell you is this team isn't in as horrible shape as you people seem to think.

9. Henry didn't make us a Super Bowl contender. A playoff contender maybe, but they don't give trophies for simply making the playoffs...

As for White, I expect he'll be ready. And if not, then we'll go another direction in 2008.

10. The Titans overachieved last year. We were never consistent, even during the winning streak at the end of the season. The offense was weak aside from big running plays by VY. And the defense was average at best during that span. We were far from a contender.

I'm all for spending money. But I'm not for wasting it. And while we have taken a step back so far, free agency wasn't going to bring us enough steps forward to make us a contender in 2007.

I don't see how he deserves any grade at all so far. He has an incomplete right now. He may not deserve any grades until after the draft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar