This Defense is not Good.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, Dec 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Blitzing works sometimes but you should probably have a decent secondary to play man as well. McCain and newly signed guy with cyprien is not that decent secondary.

2. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

We have to blitz because we can't generate pressure with just our front 4.

I'm sure DLB would prefer to not leave McCain in one on one spots, but you have to do what you can with what you have.

We are middle of the pack in terms of number of TDs given up this yr at 32...the Ravens have given up 27 and the Jags 26....

Our defense spends way too much time on the field because the offense can't stay on the field.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Weird how you chose TDs and not total points. The Jags are giving up 16.9 PPG(#2) and the Ravens are giving up 18.1 PPG(#4). The Titans give up 23.1 PPG(#20). The Titans have only given up a few more TDs than the other two, but they have drives that result in points more than the other two because they give up FGs instead of forcing punts and turnovers.

22 INTS for the Ravens and 21 for the Jags. 10 for the Titans. The Jags have scored 4 defensive TDs and and Ravens have scored 3. The Titans have 1.

There's the difference between being a good defense and a not good defense. Giving the offense a short field every now and then does wonders, eh?
    They do spend too much time on the field, but the Titans' defense has been on the field for 16 more plays than the Ravens and they seem to do just fine.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. HurrayTitans!

That brings us back to the point of needing better pass rushers. Someone capable of getting to the QB without requiring extra blitzes every play.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

In my mind great defenses don't give up points, while good defenses don't give up a bunch of TDs....our defense is not great obviously, but we are not a bad defense either.

Don't get me wrong, I want our defense to get more 3 and outs and more TOs, but that facts are that the inability of the offense to generate consistent drives hurts the defense.

And we all can agree that the offensive TOs putting the defense in short field positions hasn't helped their TD stats of the defense either.

6. RTH

RTH Meh...

To be fair, we knew this going in. The difference has been quality of coaching. Our defense has overachieved and I believe it has to do with DLB.

That said, he's not infallible and has done things that don't make sense.

Overall... overachieving.

7. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

DLB is going to blitz no matter what.

8. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

Steelers just gave up Harrison. He's old but a game wrecker. Wonder if Lebeau is asking Jrob for him?

9. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Exactly. The players who compose his base pass rush are irrelevant. He'll always bring more.

10. HurrayTitans!

I don't think that's true. Having guys that can win one on ones mean they don't have extra blockers to pick up blitzes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar