This Defense is not Good.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, Dec 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

If we have the ball more, that means they have the ball less. Given that the objective is to move the football and ultimately move it into the end zone, having the ball more means more opportunity and having the ball less means less opportunity.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Fine. Their O has to score quicker provided we don't settle for FG fisher offense.
    The D still wasn't stopping them.
    So again, you're argument that our D would be better because they don't see the field, doesn't actually make this D any better. If anything, I think keeping games close so the other teams don't "have to" pass, has probably been a saving grace for how this d has looked all year.
    None of that prevents the D from taking the ball away which they haven't done much. So it's almost like the O has been giving them extra opportunities to take the ball and they can't.

3. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Our argument is that the Defense makes enough stops to give a mediocre offense the chance to win 13 out of 15 games. We think that is pretty good.

Your argument is the defense is midpack in points allowed.

Our counter argument is that defense would give up less points if Marcus could cut the 3 and outs and INT's.

Everyone agreed that they would like to see more turnovers created by the defense.

4. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Yeah, it's not like LA has been able to score on every team in the league. All the offense had to do was score 21 to win. That's pretty fair, in my opinion.

5. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

So if I tell you that the Titans road trip to the West Coast and play 2 games and only give up 1 TD you would say that the defense was no good.....crazy talk....giving up 1 TD in 2 games is good defense no matter how you look at it.....

We have only given up 4 rushing TDs all year....the stats say 5 but the 5th was the run in by the Miami defense on the Cassel "15 yd forward fumble".....I don't care what you say that is good run defense.

DLB knows that this team does not have the personnel to be a GREAT defense. He is coaching to keep us in the games which means not giving up the big play....once again we are 2nd in the league in fewest 20+ yd plays....is that not good....hell I'd say that was great.

I'd like to know how many times the Titans defense has been put in short field positions because of our TOs....

The defense has played well (not great) the offense has been bad....bottom of the league in a bunch of statistical categories.

And the argument that we get eaten alive by good QBs is true, but good QBs eat most teams alive because the rules are skewed in the offenses favor.

6. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Someone gets it.

Yeah, more turnovers would be great....then the offense could go 3 and out a couple more times. Since apparently their job isn't to score points, that would be great fun to watch. Then the not good defense could go back on the field for another chance at meaningless turnovers!

7. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

If you've ever watched football or listened to a coach or player in the NFL, it's a common theme to try to keep high powered offenses off of the field. The less they're on the field, the less chance of them scoring. Coaches, players, analyst talk about it all the time. Why are you acting like that's some made up concept? Lol

Ever heard of time of possession? That's when your offense has the ball. Generally speaking the more TOP the better because that means there's a greater chance of your team scoring and their team not being able to score. Simple concept.

It's also a pretty common theme that if you're winning TOP and your teams offense is running more plays, the opposing teams defense wears down in turn making things easier on the offense.

These are pretty simple and common concepts to understand. D being on the field too much = bad. Offense not able to do anything = D being on the field too much.

8. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

It's a great game plan. What I am saying is that the game plan of keeping their offense off the field, does not make our defense better.
    The entire point of this thread was that our defense is pretty not real good.
    That would show our offense is less s**ty than it currently is but that doesn't magically improve the defense.

If our time of possession on offense and/or the defense is getting tired is the problem entirely, then why isn't this defense lights out for at least the first half of games? How many games has the opposing team took the ball right down the field the first time they touched the ball?

9. altitan

altitan Pro Bowler

So you dont think the opponents time of possession has any influence on our defensive performance?

10. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

Again, no one is saying the defense is great. But it sure helps when the offense can score points or at least keep the ball long enough for the defense to get a drink of water on the sideline.

How many times has the defense gotten a stop or held a team to a fg to keep the game in reach and the offense does absolutely nothing with the opportunities? (The answer is A LOT)

The defense is frustrating at times, but I'm more confident in them getting a stop than I am the offense doing anything when they get the ball.

I'm confident in saying with a decent offense, these last 3 games would have been wins.

PS- Yes, a rested defense is generally better than a defense that plays a lot and is worn down. So, a good offense does usually help the defense play better. Again, common knowledge stuff there..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar