The Vince Young Option...Lendale White and Brandon Jones

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CanadaTitan, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

When was this?

White was rated #16 overall on the Titans' board. No way they would have taken him at #3.

There's a strong possibility he'll be on the PUP list. Rotoworld is full of it.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

he was rated top 5 at the end of the college season(january) not by draft time(april)

3. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

Guys the option Vince ran in College was called the Zone Read, it consisted of him putting the ball in the Runningbacks hands and then reading the weakside DE if he was sucked into the play Vince would pull the ball and take off weakside. if the DE stayed home Vince would give the ball the the back.

Vince never ran a traditional option where he runs down the LOS and then pitches the ball to a back. Vince is not that kind of QB. If that is what they want to run it is doomed to fail, but if they try and use the zone read I think it can work in the NFL. I've seen Texas do 5 things out of the zone read.

1. give the ball to the RB
    2. Vince keeps it and runs weakside against the flow of the defense.
    3. Vince keep it and run strong side
    4. Vince keep it and drop straight back to pass
    5. Vince keep it and boot weakside with a run/pass option.

The one problem with the Zone read is that it is a slow developing play and those don't work too well in the NFL.

As far as Vince taking a pounding, I don't worry too much about that he is 6'5 235lbs. if I'm not mistaken that is bigger than Eric Dickerson was.

4. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill Camp Fodder

I should also mention that the current QB rules are going to screw up a lot of defenses because Vince has the option of sliding or putting his head down. If he can master both he will force defenses to continually guess which he will do.

5. Sledge

Sledge Guest

actually, shefter said the titans "considered" taking white at #3, not "they woulda taken him at 3". small difference there. it's obvious who they were taking at 3 as soon as the rose bowl was over

6. Yeah, but NFL LBs are much bigger and faster than he saw in college. And they are bigger than Vince. The more he runs the ball, the more he takes a chance of getting a big hit on him.

7. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

As Austin Bill said the option play that would be in the Vince package is not the traditional option that gets your QB killed, but what they ran at Texas. And I do think that it could work very well in the pros. One of Brown's strengths as a runner is his vision. A slow developing play allows the holes to present themselves and allows the backside cut back lanes to open. We have the TEs in Troupe and Scaife who are tough for a LB to guard when Vince runs the run/pass option. Plus we now have a center that can pull and help lead Vince to the outside if it is a designed run play for him. With our personnel package we can put a ton of pressure on the LBs to make the correct read.

I can guarantee you won't see Vince running the Nebraska triple option.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Probably would be good for the occasional defensive TO, and ya never know when that will pay off for the Titans.

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

No, they better not run the college option or VY will be IR.

And as a matter of course, the first time VY steps on the field defenses will stack the box and blitz him. If the Titans are smart, they'll go 4 WRs and 1 RB with a trips to one side. The D has 3 basic options.

First, play man up and 2 deep. This is asking for VY to show you up on ESPN. He could hand off, call a draw to RB, QB draw or weakside option (ala run and shoot). Stupid D unless its 3rd and 20.

Second, play zone. VY can then throw with 3-4 receivers flooding a zone or he can run if no one's open.

Third, and most likely play, blitz the SS from the weakside, spy VY with the LB, and play a changing zone scheme from the pre-snap read...like show man coverage but play a trap coverage zone scheme. A screen to the RB had better be one of VY's options!

The running game (using the RB) is a huge factor in this type of system. If the RB can't run effectively, VY will be in trouble. If the defense has to accound for a strongside handoff with a possible VY boot to the weakside, the SS has a big problem if he stacks the box. If it's a run to the strong side, the SS would be the free LB or hitman. But realistically, if he doesn't stay outside and VY keeps it, the DE probably can't contain him. If White/Brown can run effectively in these packages, VY will have good success and give defenses headaches.

Likewise, teams will blitz multiple...even going zero coverage...and force Young to make a good NFL throw to beat the blitz. If he can't make the throw, the package will be defeated as they will stack the box with everyone making it difficult to run or pass.

Chow is smart and knows how to develop QB's. I think they will coach him up enough to use a package or two and give the D just enough to worry about. We COULD also see Volek and VY on the field at the same time for a play here or there...perhaps as a decoy!

BTW, one of the nicest package plays developed for Culpepper was a play inside the 5 yard line. They went 4 WR, 1 RB. On the snap the RB pass protected to the side and the inside slot WR slanted right behind the MLB. Culpepper eyeballed the WR going right behind the MLB then pumpfaked in his direction. The MLB reacted to the pump for just a sec...but in that time, Culpepper QB sneaked it up the middle. The MLB met him around the 1-2, but got a little shake and bake to be off-balance when he hit culpepper who made it in. I'd like to see that play or the fake handoff/qb option play they developed for McNair in 2001-2 with the RB going one way. McNair either handed off or kept it and went OT to the opposite side.

VY needs to master the fade, slant, and quick out for packages to be effective in shortyardage.

Gut

10. Hooky Hornstein

Hooky Hornstein Camp Fodder

I've seen the phrase "option" misused by the media a lot these days. I've heard and read a lot of people mistakenly referring to the Texas offense as an option offense. Even the writer of the linked article seems a little muddled. What he described as an "option read" was actually the "zone read."

Sure VY made a decision on the play, which I guess some could argue is, semantically, an option. But it’s not an option, per se, as in option football where the QB heads to the corner with the ball and decides to keep it or pitch it to his trailing HB depending on what the DE and CB bite.

The option play was a gimmick in the Texas offense that was used sparingly. The zone read, which is not actually an option play, was Texas’ bread and butter.

My guess is that Norm Chow might put in something more along the lines of the zone read than an actual option play. My guess is that sportswriters are too simple to grasp the subtle distinctions and have gotten it wrong.

So my advice is: don’t actually believe the Titans are installing the option until you hear Norm Chow or Jeff Fisher specifically use the word.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar