The Titans Free Agents

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by xpmar9x, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigD73OT

BigD73OT NFL Free Agent

LenDale White - GONE. He's not needed.

Alge Crumpler - Stays...Helps Cook grow. With Scaife leaving Alge will get a contract

Bo Scaife - Gone...I think its a mistake but he will only want $$$

Eugene Amano- Gone He will more than likely be gone. Draft a guy

Kevin Mawae - STAY...finish up his career and groom Leroy some more.

Kyle Vanden Bosch -Gone...lack of production is his demise

Jevon Kearse - Gone.

Dave Ball - Gone.

Tony Brown- On The Fence..He will be look for a BIG contract

Keith Bulluck- GONE....the injury is going to keep him from being signed.

Stephen Tulloch- Stay...under rated and can play all 3 spots

Nick Harper - Gone.... just gone lol

Rod Hood- Stay....lots of upside here

Donnie Nickey -Stay...just cause he is Fishers boy

Kevin Kaesviharn - Gone....he really hasn't done anything to better the team

Craig Hentrich - Gone but stays....will have a job some how with the organization

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

He's being overpaid for sure, but we don't have many DT's who can take on a double team and not get knocked backwards or out of the hole. He's decent against the run and was disappointing vs the pass last season.

If we need more money to get a better defensive player, he'd be on the list of potential guys to cut.

I have not been able to find what his signing bonus was so not sure what it would cost our cap to cut him (IF there is not an uncapped year).

We have more important issues than Haye...like re-signing Tony Brown. And yes, I'd cut Haye if it made the difference in keeping Brown.

Gut

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Tj...

We won't need to franchise Scaife this time so we can offer him a 2nd rnd tender which is probably half of what he got last year. More likely he'd ask to be traded and if he can find a suitor, we'd probably take a 3rd rnd pick back for him. If he can't find a suitor, he either plays and hits the open market after next season or holds out all year. Teams don't like guys who do that...especially when they aren't exactly the top of their class.

Cook SHOULD be ready to take over for Scaife next season as he's had a year to adjust to learning the offense and the NFL. With an entire off-season, he should be ready to go. I think they try to keep Crump if Scaife is a problem or is traded and/or Stevens needs to retire.

Titans are in good shape and should NOT be drafting a TE until the later rnds at the earliest. At worst they could have a tandem of Cook and Crumpler. The team can also sign a vet cheap. We really need our picks for defense.

Gut

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Psychop...

Mawae finishing strong is not the point. He CAN'T block a good or LARGE DT and even hold his ground Several (Jenkins, Wilfork, ect) throw him around like a rag doll. I agree he has great leadership skills, but he's killing us ON the field. He will NOT get better...only worse. He will also not be cheap. Re-sign Mawae will prevent us from signing the defensive players we NEED.

Amano gets beat when he misses...and that happens much more than I'd like. However, there are no very good OC's or OG's I see at the moment who will be free agents. Amano is younger and may get better. And unlike Mawae, he shouldn't get worse. Ideally we'd replace him with Harris and replace Mawae with a stud OC, but at the moment we have too many holes on defense and there is not an Alex Mack in this draft. Assuming Amano doesn't want to break the bank, re-signing him is our current best bet but that depends on what defensive free agents become available and how expensive they will be.

IDK how you think KVB is our best DE. He makes plays versus the run against runs between the tackles because he sells out which costs us on outside runs because he's given up his gap responsibility. This is WORSE than him saving us a yard or 2 on plays up the gut...only to give up big gashes outside. The BEST defense is a TEAM defense in which everyone plays their assignments. When people stop doing that, big mistakes occur. I have outlined several of these during the season and his approach has not changed. Since he's NOT playing his run responsibilities and you agree he's not as good of a pass rusher, why would we re-sign him? Again, he's probably going to get worse. Wouldn't we be better off replacing him with a player that should improve and develop?

In our defense, our front 4 MUST be able to rush the passer and play their gap responsibilities. KVB does neither of these. Ford and Hayes should improve next season. I think we need to add a dominant free agent and draft a dominant DL as well as re-sign Brown. We need to make our front 4 a strength and KVB doesn't fit anymore.

Gut

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Psychop...

I just watched the HIGHLIGHT real and spotted several plays in which Mawae got driven into the backfield (vs Jets, NE and 2 goal line plays), whiffed or was ineffective. Mawae is still good at getting to the second level if there is no DL over him or in his way, but the better teams put a guy on his nose or in the A gap and control BOTH A gaps because of Mawae's inability to move anyone. Mawae still does a nice job in pass protection, but our run game is our bread and butter and Mawae is only declining.

Mawae is not a RB but he's small for an OL and relies on his agility and quickness...both things that are diminishing every year.

More importantly, if there was a LOW light reel of CJ's runs, Mawae and Amano (and Scott to a lesser extent) would be spotlighted. Pop in the tape of the Jets this past year or the year before and watch him get tossed around. Re-watch the NE game...same effect. He was actually OK vs SD this season only because he was facing there backup. Their starting NT also handles Mawae very easily. If you want to beat the elite teams, you can't have a big hole in the middle which seriously hurts our ability to run up the middle.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar