The Rookie Checklist

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I've been a fan of the game for a long time now, and during my 20 or so years as a serious fan (and amateur player), I've collected a little bit of knowledge. In order to succeed in today's NFL there's a few things rookies should know about, and probably do, but this is more for my fellow fans who wanna know what it's going to be like for the rookies.

1.) Get comfortable. If you're comfortable in what you're doing, you'll be able to do it. Don't be worried about making mistakes, they're going to happen, but make new mistakes each day you're out there.

2.) Know your surroundings. Learn about who's coaching you, learn about the franchise you're playing for. Be informed. It makes small talk very easy, and will go along way.

3.) Embrace being the new guy. Veteran players are going to mess with you and give you little jobs, do those jobs to the best of your ability and accept it. Don't be a smartazz and make the proven players resent you. One day it will be your turn to haze the rookies.

4.) Stay out of the training room. You're only suppose to be in the training room for one reason, and if you're constantly in there guys will assume you're soft. Don't try to be sneaky and beat the heat by acting hurt, this is not a good way to start off.

5.) Fight for every rep. Let your teammates know you're serious about being there. Reps are limited, so make the most when it's your turn.

I think if rookies followed this checklist, more would have success early. I'm almost 100% sure the NFLPA does give these guys this same info or something very similar, but they don't seem to make it public information for the fans to see. So here ya go.

2. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

I would add...

Live cheap and live in the facility.

If you make it, there will be plenty of time to blow money on hot cars and big Governor's Club mansions. Be the first one in the door, and the last one out, every day.

With the new rookie wage scale, that makes even more sense, as nobody is gonna make enough off their rookie deal to be set for life.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I'd also add "Work your @$$ off".

This will earn the respect of your peers and the coaching staff, hell it applies to almost every line of work.

4. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

With aroun 20 new rookies on the team, how are they all supposed to be the first one in and last one out? Do they have to do it together at exactly the same time? How do you fit 20 people in a doorway at the same time?
    :sarcasm:

Sorry I couldn't help myself. Carry on.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

There's going to be a lot of rookies this year, 90% will be cut thou. We'll have 90 players in a few weeks, only 53 stay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar