The Peyton Saga Continues...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Yes, but he was in trouble either way because he lost again.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

This is true.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

"Even without the turnovers, if we lose, I take the blame on this one," the Broncos' quarterback said yesterday after his four turnovers contributed mightily to the Broncos' 34-17 loss to the Steelers in the AFC Championship Game. "That's my job. As a quarterback, I have to lead this team to a win, and I didn't get that job done."

Is this too PC or not PC enough?

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Thats him being careful with his words because he heard and read all week how the media threw manning under the bus and he doesnt want the same fate Im sure. Jake has been labeled a choker and stupid decision maker his whole career, you can bet he was going to come off as the perfect team mate knowing how he is perceived, plus seeing the media circle jerk over Mannings interview.

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Personally, I think Peyton is THE top pocket passer in the NFL. However, his weakness is his lack of physical skills- he has never had to develop this part of his game because of his talent at reading defenses and getting the ball out quick by making the appropriate check-down. That's why, IMO, he is not (and won't ever be) the BEST QB in the NFL.

Give the Steelers credit- they had Peyton confused and Porter and others were taking angles that no O-lineman could adjust to. In a situation like this, the RB usually picks up the blitz and/or the QB rolls-out, checks down or audibles to a draw. It didn't happen. In that situation, it's up to the QB to make something happen (vis-a-vis Steve McNair in the 2002 season).

Manning was WRONG to put it on his line without saying he was deficient in his play.

6. First of all, Jake would rather have not been in front of the cameras. That's not his thing.

2nd why don't we blame the Pittsburgh Steelers defense for both losses (Colts & Broncos). They figured out how to rattle the QB, especially Manning which I've said for years. New England did it regularly; San Diego made it look easy; and Pittsburgh just took the idea and made it a classic.

Why doesn't the defense coordinators pay attention to how they did it? They know if Manning has all the time he wants, if it's in the same zip code, it's a catch. Well get your defensive butts in his face and he'll fail every time.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Riverman...

That post makes no sense. If you don't have time to throw the ball you will find it hard to locate open receivers. Plain and simple. You talk about these "physical skills". Does tom brady have them? Is he a great runner? He has won 3 super bowls! Just because manning can't move out of the pocket like a young steve mcnair doesn't mean he can't be effective. No QB is effective with only a second to throw.

That one joey porter sack came because nobody touched him. The colts had max protect with edge and clark in the backfield and clark went to help out inside leaving porter a clean run to the QB. That is poor fundamentals and one of the problems with using a TE in the backfield.

If there was some universal formula to stop this guy nobody has found it on a consistent basis. Normally sending the kitchen sink at manning has been a recipe for disaster. The steelers were good enough to make it work.

Doesn't jake plummer have those physical skills you taked about? How did he do?

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Titanfan...

You don't think teams have tried to blitz manning before? You think it has only been done a few times in the last 3 years? That's nonsense. Of course teams have tried that and many have found themselves down by 21 points before the game even starts. Most of the time it HAS NOT worked because manning gets the ball out so quick.

Any passing game is going to have problems with less time to throw. The QB has less time to locate a receiver and receivers have less time to get open. That's a no brainer! But what happens when your corners can't cover their WRs and you don't have defenders in the middle like polamalu or rodney harrison? You get toasted. Marvin harrsison has a 150 yard day and dallas clark is running wide open down the middle of the field.

It always kills me when guys like you think that blitzing the colts offense is something new. It's not! But for every game that manning has struggled in the last 3 seasons there are about 7 where he has lit someone up and there is no way you can blitz a lot of people and cover those receivers.

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I agree with most everything you're saying. Although Brady is slow, he is faster and gets out of the pocket better than Manning. He has as good an ability to read defenses and make appropriate check-downs. IMO, he's a better QB than Manning. He also has intangible leadership skills.

I agree that others have tried to blitz Colts and got burned. I agree that the Steelers deserve alot of credit because they made it work. However, there was something unique in the disguised LB blitzes that confused Manning and the Line. I saw 2 or three plays where the MLB pulled out and blitzed from around the end- something that requires alot of speed. Plus Porter played a helluva game.

excerpt from http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/specials/playoffs/2005/01/22/look.ahead.ap/ where Seahawks are prepping for SB.

".....There might be one factor favoring the Steelers.

They play one of the most effective 3-4 defenses in the NFL, blitzing linebackers from different angles, usually starting with Joey Porter from the outside.

Seattle played only one 3-4 all season -- against Dallas -- and had all kinds of trouble with it, finally winning 13-10 by scoring 10 points in the final 40 seconds. The Cowboys held the Seahawks, who finished second in the NFL yards per game with 370 to 289 yards by jamming nine and 10 men at the line of scrimmage and bumping Seattle's receivers.

"It's different," said center Robbie Tobeck, who played in the 1999 Super Bowl with Atlanta. "They have a great defensive line. Fortunately, we have a couple of weeks to prepare for them."

In regards to Plummer- Gimme a break. His physical skill are good but his decision making is nowhere close to Brady's or Manning's for that matter. I should clarify my point that the elite QB's have a combination of excellent decision making and physical skills to "bail out" the team when faced with innovative schemes like the Steelers are currently running. Obviously, I don't believe Manning has the physical skills (legs) to help "bail out". Don't get me wrong- I think Manning is THE best pocket passer in the NFL, just not what I'd consider "elite".

10. MsTitan

MsTitan Camp Fodder

Actually, he shoulders must not be able handle what the "haters" throw his way because if they were he would shoulder it. But he chose to turf it to his OL so they can carry the weight of the loss on their shoulders. Broad shoulders would have been I didn't handle the blitz well.

In my opinion the previous statement is the problem. Hell, he isn't the only QB to get blitzed. The problems is not a lot of people tried this season or last season for that matter. So when it happened, it was unfamiliar and he did not know what to do. Manning is a great studier, watches tons of game film but when he sees something unfamiliar he can't adjust. He was expecting and didn't have a plan B. Since he chooses to call his owns plays, that makes him the primary problem. Calling out his O-line who was good enough to help him win 13 straight to start the season is unfair. Pittsburgh brought everything but the kitchen sink, at some point to expect the O-line to pick up that everytime is crazy. Maybe just as crazy as saying Manning should have thrown for 400 yards despite the blitz.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar