The Official "Reinfeldt knows what he is doing" free agency thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Gunny, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

True. But I think we've seen a huge decline of talent hitting the market well before that. All except a few teams are smart enough to lock their quality players up in long-term deals.

But we've certainly seen it really impact the last two free agency periods.

2. TitanJeff

They traded for Moss and Welker. All those free agency WR pickups had minimal impact.

3. TitanJeff

I don't think I've read anyone claim this. But I have heard how horrible a job he's doing.

Flash back to last year. Fans here were screaming about the loss of Bennett, Wade and Henry. Guess what? The teams who got them overpaid and they didn't produce.

And in a free agency market similar to this one, he added experienced depth in Gage, Moulds, Herndon, Fisher, Rattay and Gardner (did I miss anyone?). All very reasonable deals.

So how is this a horrible? Who was available last year who would have really helped this team? Stallworth? They actually offered him more than what he took.

As for this year's moves, I ask again WHO? WHO out there should the Titans have signed? No way you can judge what has happened so far as being either good or bad for at least a year. Crumpler and Kearse may both be done. Or both could be significant improvements. Time will tell.

Some of you like to biatch and moan just for the sake of doing it.

It's far too early to tell either.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Berrian, Stallworth, Bryant Johnson. Any of the three would be a probable starter going into next season for us. Overpaid or not.

Re-sign Odom.

Asante Samuel's deal with the Eagles, I would've taken that with the Titans as well.

I'd take any of those scenarios.

5. TitanJeff

Amazing. So you don't think it takes a little time before you can make any kind of educated judgment of his decisions? You're ready to call Henry a bust after one season? You're calling his handling of this year's free agency "average" well before the end of free agency and without knowing the details of the deals he is planning to complete with Haynesworth, Roos or Stewart?

This magnifying glass mentality is what leads to the cap mess we saw a few season's ago. Reese used to be worshiped here and could do no wrong. Now he's considered the reason for the cap purge and a series of poor drafts.

And remember, this isn't only about the '08 season. This is about what this team will be able to do for the next three-four seasons. The much of the bonuses given to these core players can count against THIS YEAR'S cap. It doesn't have to spread out over the lifetime of the contract. That opens up the cap for next year and beyond which also gives the team options. Do you honestly think the Titans don't plan on using their cap space? Where in the history of this franchise has Bud not used his cap room?

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Will signing AH longterm even have much effect on our cap? He's already top5 DT for this season right? I'm guessing if we re-sign him longterm, he'll be the top paid DT. But would that actually add more than maybe another million to this season's cap hit?

Roos and Stewart, I guess, are still on their rookie contracts, so I could see the hit being more, IF they are re-signed. Overall how much cap space do you think it will take away from us? 5-6 millions for both on this season?

I guess my point is, even after these re-signings and our draft picks are signed, (and under the assumption we don't sign anyone else), wouldn't we still have a lot of free cap space going into next season?

7. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

This is a very balanced and objective summery, which I entirely agree with. :thumb:

8. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Read my post more carefully TJ. It doesn't matter if Henry is a bust or not- HE COULD HAVE BEEN TAKEN IN A LATER ROUND. IMO- Henry wouldn't have even been worth a 4th round pick.

Also, digest the supply and demand issue I've raised in regards to the market determining the price.

And to answer your question directly- we COULD have and IMO SHOULD have matched or slightly beat the Bengals offer to Odom. And are you so non-myopic that you can't see the Herndon and Bryce Fisher moves WERE CHEAP and not so productive?

MR- doesn't get a pass. He has been in this business FOR YEARS. That is why we hired him.

I'll put the shoe on the other foot- you tell just what "A+" move he has made so far other than a few "low risk" moves? That is why I keep referring that his is AVERAGE IMO.

And for what it is worth- his "delay" with Haynesworth has cost the titans a lot with the fat DT contracts that went out after he could have locked up AH. We're going to have to pay more now than we would have.

Roos and Stewart? He is making the same mistake again and he should have had them locked up long ago.

9. TitanJeff

The Titans had two WRs on the roster who out-gained both Stallworth and Johnson last season. This from an offense with a second-year QB almost everyone agrees was a horrible passer and on a run-first offense.

Then you have to ask if any of these guys are significant enough an upgrade to those already on the roster. Then, you have to ask if that difference is worth the money they were paid and the impact that has on the Titans' ability to sign core players to long-term deals or bring in other free agents.

I'm not saying missing out on Berrian was the best move here. But we don't have the full picture before us which makes jumping to conclusions nothing more than speculation.

Not even in the top five best players on the Titans defense. Why pay him as the best?

Which players on the Titans roster now are you willing to give up for that deal to happen? How about the opportunities that will be missed in '09 and '10 because the Titans don't have enough cap room?

Don't pretend you know the long-term impact that a deal valued at $60 mil that pays an average of $10 mil in each of the first three seasons has on the long-range plans for the Titans.

Would it be nice to have someone of his abilities? Of course. But it doesn't mean it is the right move to make.

10. TitanJeff

I read it clearly. You are giving an opinion. That's far from knowing something is fact. Henry may have been gone much sooner and the Titans miss out on a player they felt was a value in the second.

They were brought in as insurance -- not starters. In the two previous seasons, one of the problems with the Titans is that if a starter went down, the gap between their production and the next guy on the depth chart was too significant to overcome.

Fisher was brought in because of the injury history of Odom/LaBoy. Herndon for the uncertainty at CB. By both Odom/LaBoy staying healthy and Finnegan winning the CB spot, neither saw the field. Does that make those acquisitions a bad thing?

Do you own insurance for your home or car? ;)

Have I said he should get an "A+"? Nope.

My point is there is not enough time to reach an informed conclusion on Reinfeldt's moves. How can you truly evaluate a GM based on only 13 months on the job?

Says who? From the end of the season through March 1, you work on deals for your free agents about to hit the market. From March 1 thru late April, you work free agency and the draft. After the draft and before training camp is the time you work out rookie contracts and long-range deals for players you want to extend. It could very well happen during training camp.

Though we've seen a couple of players already under contract get deals worked out on other teams, I think we'll see this happen much more after the draft. He's point-blank said it was a priority for him to make it happen. But I guess if it isn't happening fast enough to suit some makes him an average GM.

Now we get to December and these deals are not done, I think we have reason to be concerned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar