The Next Derrick Mason?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by GLinks, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Sweed sucks, and is a puss. Always has been. His 800 yards and 40 catches is nothing impressive. Don't really know where you get off to thinking it is, but whatever. Sweed was never impressive to me and a lot of other people. And as of right now, the unimpressiveness has followed him to the NFL. That's my analysis and I'm sticking to it.

Gage wasn't a very good prospect, no matter how you want to slice it, but has blossomed something decent.

Don't ask me how I came to these conclusions. I just did, and don't really feel like giving you my reasoning. And until I'm proven otherwise, it doesn't look like I'll be flip-flopping anytime soon. So, save the windy jargon.

P.S. Kenny Britt is a better WR prospect than both...still.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

So a 17+ypc is nothing impressive? And neither is 12 TD's out of 40 something catches?

Gut

3. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

SEC CB's? You know he's from Texas, of the Big 12, right? Or am I reading this wrong?

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Lol...

This is what happens when I don't get enough sleep!!! Thanks for pointing out my obvious error! :)

Gut

5. Nine

Nine Starter

A guy I like in the middle rounds is Sammy Stroughter.....a small-but-physical WR who reminds me a lot of Steve Smith.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=156162
    YouTube highlights
    http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/college-football/in-focus-sammy-stroughter-vs-arizona-41618

The big knock on Stroughter is a bout with severe depression in 2007 after a couple deaths in his family; this depression caused him to miss most of the '07 season, and is largely responsible for keeping him out of the day-one conversations.

But he was spectacular in '06, and after another strong showing in '08, I'd say he's well worth a mid-round pick. I might even go as high as a 3.

6. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

No, it doesn't impress me. It didn't impress too many scouts either. 9th WR taken last year in a TERRIBLE receiver class? Elite, Gut, elite. :suspect:

Give up. Sweed sucks. Always has and always will. Thank God Pitt took the schmuck so we didn't have to.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gut pees his pants over sweeds 800 yard season but craps on britt a guy with back to back 1200+ seasons. Gut gushes about sweed's 17 yard per catch average but dumped on britt who has you guessed it a 17 yard per catch average for his career.

Britt averaged 1013 yards a season in his 3 years at rutgers. Sweed averaged 478 yards in his 4 seaons at texas. Wow 478 yards! Britt put up much bigger numbers the last 2 seasons than sweed EVER put up. Sweed maxed out at that one 800 yard season britt is coming off an 87 catch 1300+ yard season.

Sweed averaged 14.8 yards a catch in his college career britt 17.0!

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Thank you.

The over/under for Gut's rebuttal is set at 1500 words. I take the over.

9. Nine

Nine Starter

Going into last year's draft, I wasn't particularly impressed with any of the WR's. Sure, there were a number of guys who looked good...but none of them really stood out from the pack.

This year, I see four guys who possess (by my estimation) first-round talent:

Crabtree and Maclin are the clear-cut favorites, and will almost certainly be the first two WR's off the board.

Nicks may not have blinding speed, but he has everything else you could ask for, and is remarkably physical for a WR.

Most people think of Kenny Britt as a second-round prospect....but from what I've seen, he could easily end up going toward the end of round one. He's similar to Nicks....perhaps not as polished, but a bit bigger and faster, and every bit as physical. However, I understand there are questions about his attitude and focus, and he apparently struggled with drops early in the season. If he can respond to these concerns favorably, he could be right there with Nicks in the mid/latter part of roundone. However, if his concerns still linger on draft day, he could end up going in round two, or possibly even slide down into round three. But in terms of the physical tools and playing style, he's first-round talent all the way.

DHB and Harvin are getting a lot of press....but to be honest, I just don't see it. I'm sure DHB will probably go in round one, but there's really nothing about him that jumps out at me; if you ask me, I'd put him somewhere in the 25-40 range, behind Nicks and possibly even Britt. Good prospect, but I'm not as enthralled with him as others seem to be.

Harvin has tons of speed and versatility, but that's about it. Speed alone won't help him much, and most teams are too conservative to fully utilize a RB/WR hybrid, which limits the number of interested parties. Then you have to consider his long injury history, and some character issues from his past that have only recently received attention. Despite all the hype surrounding him, I wouldn't be too surprised if Harvin slides to the second or even third round.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

There are 3 Wrs who are similar as prospects and may be available with the 30th pick. Bey, britt, hicks. My assumption is that because there is always a premium on speed bey comes off the board before the other 2. So the real debate for our pick at 30 is between nicks and britt.

Great blue north ranks nicks 5th and britt 6th among WRs.

NFL draft countdown ranks britt 5th and nicks 7th.

Neither of these guys will be there when we pick in rd 2. If somebody thinks that robiskie or murphy perhaps the 2 best guys that could be had in rd 2 are comparable to these 2 guys speak up..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar