The "movie recommendations for me" thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by GeronimoJackson, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

This.

City of God is probably in my top 5 of all-time. I know there's a world of hype behind it but this is one of those that's worthy of all the praise it gets. I've yet to meet someone who was let down by it.

Oldboy is another really, really good one. I wouldn't quite put it on the level of City of God but it's pretty darn close.

2. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

As for Grown Ups.... it's exactly what you would expect. I try to judge movies within their genre and/or what I think the filmmakers were aiming to accomplish. So in this respect, it was alright. An obvious cash grab by the leads. Completely mailed in performances. And a story you've seen plenty of times before. Still, the cast provides enough laughs that it's worth a watch if you're in the mood for some light comedy fluff.

3. GeronimoJackson

GeronimoJackson Brainwashed by the Left. Now I am free.

So just got done watching Oldboy, yeah, it was pretty sick (double entendre).

Loved the brawl scene because it wasn't "artistic" looking and the choreography was intentionally sloppy...it portrayed how a real fight would look like. I'm just sitting back and thinking "finally, a fight scene where people actually get tired."

Wasn't blown away by the twist, but overall, left me very satisfied all the way through, it'll most likely get a second viewing.

4. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

If you liked Oldboy check out 'Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance' and 'Lady Vengeance'. They are all three considered part of the same trilogy although not really sequels per se. It's more the theme of vengeance that ties them all together. I liked Oldboy quite a bit more than the other two but they are still worth checking out.

5. GeronimoJackson

Probably gonna see City of God within the next few days or so.

Since I just got done watching Oldboy, in the mood for another brain teaser, and right now I'm looking at "Memento." Is it a must watch?

P.S - I have the most boring job in the world, sitting on my computer all day or night in my dorm hall, so I got all the time in the world for movies.

6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Memento is divisive in regard to who likes and and who doesn't. Worth seeing nonetheless, but I'd go for the David Lynch movies first..

7. GeronimoJackson

I think I've only seen The Elephant Man. Mulholland Drive looks interesting though...

8. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

"Memento" is definitely an exercise in style over substance, but it's pretty fun, and the performances are solid.

I agree with CC in that a Lynch offering like "Mulholland Dr." is much more... in every possible way.

"Memento" is definitely worth watching though.

You've seen "Run Lola Run"? Another stylish bit of fun.

Obviously subtitles aren't an issue, if you're not adverse to B&W check out "Seven Samurai" or "Yojimbo"... along with being great films, they're both highly entertaining.

Outright creepy: Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer
    An underseen gems:
    "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" (smart... funny)
    "Big Night" (Food, music, funny)
    "In The Loop" (top-notch British comedy)
    "The Proposition" (fantastically grim)
    Liz Taylor just died... she's smokin in the uber-excellent "A Place In The Sun" (and isn't it Montgomery Cliff's last movie before disaster struck?) , and then she's scary, but simply amazing with Richard Burton in the wickedly hilarious "Who's Afraid of Virgina Wolf?"

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

City of God is in my top 3.

Oldboy I haven't been able to see though my friend keeps hounding me about it and I trust his opinion, typically.

10. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Rear Window
    Clockwork Orange
    8 1/2
    2001: A Space Odyssey
    The Good, Bad and Ugly series
    Apocalypse Now
    Taxi Driver
    Boogie Nights
    North By Northwest
    Raging Bull

I could go all day, man. Just watch and appreciate the classics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar