The logic behind wanting a CB in the 1st round

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by JCBRAVE, Feb 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Short of Josh Norman not being tagged and not signed, who do you see as a #1 CB?

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

You're going a little over the top with this...guy who played S the majority of his 3 year career? Are you gonna tell me Mackensie Alexander isn't a 1st round CB because in his 'long' 2 year career, he has a total of 11 pd's and ZERO INT's? On the other hand, QB's had a sub 30% completion % against him.

Hargreaves has a lot going for him, but he only had 4 pd's last year (but also 4 INT's). Hargreaves is a little too aggressive at times and gave up a 16+yd/catch and had his 2 worst games when the spotlight was brightest. And we'll see if Hargreaves is actually even 5'10 and what his speed is.

I and a lot of people expect Ramsey to put up good-great numbers in the timed/measured drills. But Hargreaves needs to measure out OK and run a good 40.

So do you think Ramsey can play CB or not? Where in the draft would you take Ramsey?

3. tnfan47

tnfan47 Let's Get It

Even if Hargreaves out performs Ramsey, I don't think it'll change GM's draft boards.

From what I've read what our GM Robinson said and now Belichick. The draft is more overhype than what it is to coaches/GM's/scouts. The only thing GM's/scouts rely on the draft is a good medical evaluation for each player. I'll try to search for the article on Belichick saying the players need to concentrate more on other things than drills at the combine. He mentions they are only focused on if they can play football at the next level, not how fast they can run the cone drills or 40 time.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

You dont need to post the link, its common knowledge now

5. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I think it's only natural to take production into the conversation. If a guy didn't get INTs at the college level, you shouldn't expect him to get them at the pro level. Being around the ball and getting takeaways is a constant skill, it doesn't show up once you get to the NFL. With that said, I expect Ramsey to get fumble recoveries IF there is a fumble. But I expect Hargreaves to make an INT on his own, not rely on someone else creating the turnover for him. Sounds to me like Hargreaves is having the same question marks Joe Hayden had, that turned out pretty well for the Browns.

To answer your question Gut, I think Ramsey can play Corner at an average/below average level. I do think he can be a great Safety, so I take Ramsey at 8 and on. Just my preference, I value Corners above Safeties, as does the NFL based on the Draft the last decade. Highest Corners taken last 8 years are Patrick Peterson and Mo Claiborne at #5 and #6. Are you trying to tell me that Ramsey is a better Corner prospect than Darelle Revis(#14)?

6. JCBRAVE

Exactly

7. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

this is the problem with GMs boards then. If the more productive/better cover corner outperforms the physical freak without a true position and lack of statistical takeaway/production, yet the Freak is still rated higher whats the difference between taking Justin Hunter and Keenan Allen?

8. JCBRAVE

Ramsey is in every way a NFL CB, stop saying he doesn't have a position, youre making him sound like Denard Robinson or something..

9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I'm saying it isn't defined. When multiple top talent evaluators don't agree on what position he should play, that's a problem. That's like drafting a Guard(Poutasi) when everyone said he'd be a Guard and playing him at Right Tackle.

10. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

I thought most people had Ramsey as a safety, which we need as well.

• Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar