The Gloat's QB rankings of 2011. (A surprise or 2)

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Deuce Wayne, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Those of you who frequent know I have no problem at all throwing my opinions out there and defending them to the death- so here it is, early, even... My take on 2011 QBs worth mentioning. Feel free to dig this up in 3 years if I happen to be wrong on ONE like you guys always seem to do... ignore the ones I nail, as usual.

And here we go...

First we'll begin with the QBs on my personal list. The few I'd actually like for us to take and would be satisfied with them with full trust that they could be franchise QBs.

1. Ricky Stanzi
    - Surprised? Me too, actually. My love for Stanzi has been a roller-coaster. I was highly impressed when he first came on strong, then let down as he became overhyped, but when looking at all the footage I have- No one in this class throws the football better than Ricky Stanzi. No one.
    He has the best touch of all prospects, is great at leading his receivers- hitting them in stride, He's very elusive in the pocket, throws great on the run, and can scramble when he needs to to get out of trouble.
    He makes some boneheaded decisions, and doesn't have a strong arm... but who needs one? This league's best QBs master the intermediate passing while tossing it long every now and then. He can throw the long 40 yard pass every now and then and put perfect touch on it while doing so.

Best QB in this class, in my opinion. Granted, I'm not overwhelmed by any of these guys.

2. Jake Locker - I've done a complete 180 with Locker. I've said he's the most overrated player in college football, but after watching all these guys and giving him a fair chance- he really has a lot going for him. I may have prematurely judged him by watching a few Washington games and expecting too much.
    He reminds me a lot of Ben Roethlisberger for some reason. Probably due to the fight he has and energy he plays with. He extends plays and is very good at avoiding trouble in the pocket. Has a cannon, but also has touch. I really like Locker. Until watching a lot of film on Stanzi, he was at the top of this class.

3. Christian Ponder - The only reason Ponder isn't #1 in this class is due to his health, which is a major concern that could knock him out of success altogether. He looked terrible in his last start at the Chic-Fil-A Bowl, but to his credit; He probably shouldn't have been cleared to start (surgery), and had zero time to throw the ball. South Carolina swarmed him and tossed him around like a rag doll. He wanted to keep going though, which is inspiring.
    Christian Ponder is the best QB in this class IF healthy. He throws better than all, and also has the added bonus of being able to scramble. He's extremely smart and his team loves him. Myron Rolle said he's the smartest guy he knows.

----- These are the only 3 guys I like in this class of QBs. There are some outsiders that may be ok choices later, but I dont see any as franchise QBs.

Blaine Gabbert - What a crock. Chase McDaniels made a better case as an NFL prospect and how'd that turn out? Blaine Gabbert does nothing that would wow anyone without ESPN whispering in your ear. This guy was on NO ONE's board just 2 months ago, now all of a sudden every clown that works for ESPN has him as their top choice? Seriously? What did I miss?...
    Blaine Gabbert will never start in the NFL and post anything higher than a 70 qb rating.

Cam Newton - Should probably work on running routes now. Great athlete that runs better than any QB in the NCAA outside of his smaller clone, Denard Robinson. Much like Denard, he's a great athlete pretending to be a quarterback. I do think Cam will start in the NFL at some point as a QB just because teams will take the chance. I do not think he'll be successful as a QB though.
    He leads the NCAA in passing efficiency, but so did Vince Young. That's what playing in a gimmick offense and being a primary running threat will do for a QB that makes his money (ha!) throwing 5-10 yard passes.
    His baggage is also concerning, but I can see him being straight-laced now that the spotlight is on him.

Ryan Mallett - Probably the best of my 'Just say No' to list. My problems with Mallett have nothing to do with his mechanics (iffy) or his talent (it's definitely there... but what's between his ears. He just doesn't make good decisions in close games, and many times just blindly tosses the ball up. I think he has all the tools outside mobility but seems like one of those guys that may just not be bright/quick enough mentally to cut it in the NFL.

Guys on the outside that I'm neither for nor against: Scott Tolzien, Kellen Moore, Kase Keenum, Andy Dalton, Jerrod Johnson *(was extremely high on, but has a lot to work on)...

Some may have slipped my mind so I'll update if I think of another.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. highstep

highstep Camp Fodder

1. No, you need a strong arm in the NFL. If that weren't the case then Kellen Moore should be going #1 overall and Colt Brennan and Graham Harrell would be stars. Other than that I think he's a solid QB but he's not a top choice in my opinion.

2. Had some very bad games this year, including a 4-20 showing against Nebraska, major red flag even though he played on some very, very poor teams. Ben Roethlisberger has a good 2 inches and 15lbs on Locker, probably more mobile but I'm not too sure about patience and accuracy.

3. Ponder is solid but as you said injuries kept him down and even if he was at full health I don't think he's the number one QB prospect.

On Gabbert, I agree. Has good arm strength but I'm not going to chance a top 10 pick on him.

Cam Newton's arm>>>>>Denard Robinson's arm. Cam Newton can make some great throws in coverage and on the run. I agree in the sense that Newton's numbers are inflated because he is throwing to a lot of open guys but his arm strength and accuracy should not go undervalued.

Ryan Mallet has the best arm in the draft and I actually see some smarts in him. He knows the offense and consistently finds the open man but has made rash decisions under pressure. (My #1 QB)

Andy Dalton and Kellen Moore are my two sleepers, I think people don't realize Dalton's arm strength. Both of them are winners and very smart players.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

I don't understand how anyone can pick Locker over Mallett..

Locker has absolutely NO ability to read a defense. He looks at his first option, and if thats not there he tucks it and runs, or tries to force it in.

Mallett actually has vision, and a enough talent to get it done at the NFL level. All else concerning him is TBD.

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Mallett had a better team around him than Locker.

Much of Mallett's hype is based on good performances against weaker teams.

He reminds me of Hasselback and that's not a compliment.

I hope we get Locker.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Cam Newton is the best QB in this draft and of nobody wants to admit that all the better for us since we are picking 8th. So keep it up with this image that he is some dumb black guy who can't throw a football and read defenses.

I don't get the Vince Young comparisons. Vince Young could have been a great QB!!! He played great for much of this year(96.5 passing rating). I would love to have another Vince Young but with a better attitude and work ethic. I'd take that any day.

My take on Stanzi is that he is about as over rated as the Iowa coach. Every year we hear how great they are going to be and they lost the last 3 games of the season in a big ten that was weak this year.

Stanzi is a comparable prospect to Gabbert.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Ricky has above average arm strength, he can throw the deep ball well. It's not AMAZING like Mallett, but still solid.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Cam Newton vs the best of the SEC..

Bama-LSU-Georgia-South Carolina 2X-Miss State

170 average rating 14tds 2 ints.

6-0

According to Duece he is just a dumb WR in a gimmick offense so can we acertain then that the Auburn OC is the greatest genius on earth that he could get that kind of play out of a WR? What if Auburn had a real QB?

Can we please hire that guy to coach our offense?

Newton's numbers against those 5 teams, 6 games was better than Ryan Mallett's numbers in 4 out of the 6 games. Mallett had 1 td and 3 ints vs Bama. Newton(aka dumb wr) had 4 Tds and 0 ints. The 205 passing rating against Bama tells us just about all we need to know.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Not exactly he had a great game to beat LSU and was pretty good against Ohio State.

The Hasselback comparison doesn't wash, he was a 5th rd pick. Mallett is bigger with a bigger arm.

9. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Kellen Moore embodies the modern NFL QB.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

While I ultimately agree that I don't like Gabbert....

1) It was Chase Daniel.

2) I've been hearing about Gabbert as a top pro prospect even when Daniel was playing. He went from the top of "everyone's" 2012 board to the top of their 2011 board.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar