The future of Billy Volek

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Jul 19, 2006.

?
  1. His trade value would be high. Trade him.

21 vote(s)
    61.8%
  2. Re-sign him as the 2007 starter.

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Re-sign him as the 2007 backup to Young.

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. None of those, I would..................

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I don't think the Titans can afford to pay VY 50+ million dollars to sit on the bench much longer than this upcoming season,
    regardless of what happens.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

turn it into a BIGGER lead ? :brow:

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

not priceless ...... expensive
    (or mayeb priceless if the cost is an 'arm and a leg')

4. EZpickin

EZpickin Camp Fodder

EXACTLY......

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

that is a very good question but it is impossible to answer at this point. We need to play out the season to identify the needs and that 1st round prospect needs to present itself. In short, I have no idea.

6. If he does great this year, WHY on earth would you trade/release him, especially if we get .500 or above. Vince Young will only get better by watching and gradually developing.

UNPROVEN, i'm pro-Young but if Volek plays well, we shouldn't throw him into the starting role until he's 100% ready.

Of course all this applies if Volek has a good season.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I think you can have two star qb's in our position. It's a lot like Steve Young and Joe Montana. My formula would go like this.

A. If Volek does not go to the playoffs - Young Starts year 2
    B. If Volek goes to playoffs he starts until we no longer qualify for the playoffs, up to 3 years, at which time he will have proven he can take us no further if we never get to the superbowl.
    C. 3 Straight years of Playoffs, no superbowl - Vince Young takes over in year 4.

I think it is fair to tell Vince Young and Billy Volek this is the plan. It's a fair shake for everyone involved in my opinion.

Now, if Volek makes the superbowl within 3 years, and qualifies for the playoffs all three years, I think it is fair to trade Vince Young at the end of year 3. Volek will be the man. And that's that.

One scenario that may be familair to all Titan fans is the Flutie, Rob Johnson playoff game. Where Flutie got the Bills to the playoffs, and Rob Johnson was asked to start the playoff game. He was horrible. As most of expected he would be. Even losing his damn shoe on the last drive. But the Titans could very well end up in that situation a la Hostetler and Rob Johnson. You never know. So Vince is nice to have back there.

Sure. We are paying Vince to hold the golden clipboard, but at the expense of a perennial playoff contender. It's a fair deal even at that price.

8. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Salary cap.
    If he does great, he's going to demand a big contract next year. Can't afford to put that much cap space for 2 QB's. The Montana/Young era was before the salary cap.
    No one has a 50 million dollar backup QB.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Hard to tell what I would do because just getting a team to the playoffs doesn't neccesarily mean Volek's a keeper. If our defense plays lights out and our runnijng game is dominate Volek could be an average QB and get us to the playoffs. In that case trade Volek for sure. If we get to the playoffs because of Volek and he is putting up Manning type numbers you might not trade Volek for anything.

The other side of the coin is VYs development. If he is ready to go in 2007 or sooner the franchise is essentially already committed to him with his salary and draft postion. You have to put him in.

More than likely Volek is trade material because the only way I don't see it is if he puts up Manning or Brady type numbers.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

No way do you pay a rookie $50 mil for five years and not play him until the fourth season. Even if Volek plays lights out, I don't see how Young isn't starting by '08 because the Titans won't resign him after '07.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar