The future of Billy Volek

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Jul 19, 2006.

?
  1. His trade value would be high. Trade him.

21 vote(s)
    61.8%
  2. Re-sign him as the 2007 starter.

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Re-sign him as the 2007 backup to Young.

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. None of those, I would..................

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

the next jake delhomme!

...well maybe

2. Sunshine2

Sunshine2 Guest

3. H Man

H Man Guest

Without researching it...isn't '08 an option year. I don't know why, but I thought '07 was too. I would like to keep him at least through '07 - starter or backup.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I believe that is the case. The only situation I see the Titans trading Volek is if he has a big season but the team is committed to starting Young in '07. He'd want to get #1 QB money somewhere so might work with the Titans on a trade.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

If this Volek dream scenario shakes out and he does lead us to the post season... (I have a hard time entertaining this seriously) ... imagine the calibur of defensive player we may be able to wrangle. I want to see the defense built up... and we've seen it built up a bit through the draft and FA... if Vince Young is given a top notch D to rely on... imagine what he might be able to do if he has the luxury of playing with a lead.

Someone commented a few days ago about our playoff teams in the past being built to play it close and win by a small margin... doesn't always work out...

6. Sunshine2

Sunshine2 Guest

That's a big IF. I can't see the Titans winning more than 7 games. I would love to see VY start 2 games in 2006.

7. Sunshine2

Sunshine2 Guest

What side of the ball do you think the Titans will draft in 2007?

I'm guessing Drew Bennett will want a contract similar to David Givens. Would you draft a WR in round 1 to replace Drew?

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I can't see it happening. However, the question is what to do if it does. If we make it to the playoffs with the team we're fielding in 2006, and Volek gets us to the playoffs, why would you bench him? If someone made a huge trade offer, first rounder or two seconds, or something else hard to refuse, then maybe you trade him, if he consents to it, which he probably would with Vince behind him. If not though, keep him, let the guy play until we have trouble, why stop a good thing?

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

It depends on his stats. If he throws for 3,755 yards and has a qb rating around 88-93 I think you gotta keep him as your starter for at least another year and possibly a lot longer. He's not some old fart who's hanging on. He's at his peak age. What are you trading him for. There is no good reason.

I wouldn't trade him. I'd try to win the superbowl. Give him at least three years to do it.

10. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I'm not sure which way to look at this;
    1. Are the Titans fans anti-Volek
    2. Are the Titans fans pro-Young
    Do the fans want Young to start because they are pro Young or because they are anti Volek. It's confusing reading some of these posts.
    What Titans fans should be is <u>pro-Winning</u>. If Volek can get us to the playoffs, why would you pull him or possibly trade him? The only reasoning is, is so Young can take us to the playoffs. Doesn't make sense. Who cares who takes us to the playoffs as long as we get there. Why would you break up a winning combination?
    Going into 2007 with 2 possible superstar QBs.....priceless!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar