The franchise tag

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

I like the Franchise Tag for the purpose the Titans are using it for and not just the cheap way out.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

This is one of the few scenarios where it could happen that a player would get franchised multiple years in a row. You've got a player with amazing talent, but potential motivation issues. The contract comes right after a prime example of a guy who worked his butt off to get a new contract, got it, and then slid off the team (Alexander). That's a bitter pill, and I could see the titans playing this one pretty hard.

The team doesn't have to give any guarantees that they won't use it again. It depends on how far apart the negotiations are.

His agent said about a month ago that they made a little progress, but we're very close. I don't think it'll happen by July 15th, but it could happen during the season.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

The problem is...if you look at this from the outside, Haynesworth would be smart to take a deal in which they paid him maybe not for his performance last year, but for something approaching it. Why? He gets up front money and wouldn't need to 'prove' himself again and a long term contract protects him against getting injured (he's already got a big signing bonus) and the big upfront money will keep him a Titan a few years minimum.

It is in the Titans best interest to get a long term deal done and pay him much less than his stellar year since he's only done it once. However, in fairness, they should give him incentives to be the best paid DT IF he performs that way.

It is NOT in the agent's best interest to take anything less than best paid DT money.

And there in lies the rub...

Expect Albert to sign his tender (avg of the top 5) since I'd guess that's more money than the Titans will offer him on avg for next season and it'll make his agent happy (as long as Albert doesn't get hurt). His agent will hopefully push Albert to have another great year in which case everyone is happy because the Titans will then give him a huge contract, he produces on the field, and everyone gets paid!

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar