The franchise tag

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

The 2nd year franchise isnt even worth talking about. If it comes to that, you'd better just let the guy walk.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

But that would mean he'd take a hit on his salary as well. I don't see him doing it. Albert would do the "hammy tweak" instead.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Albert also made the comment last year that getting paid the average of the top five guys at his position didn't sound too bad. He'll be there when the season starts.

And Gloat, the seahawks franchised the same player three years in a row a few years ago. For a superstar, it's worth it. I'd actually be thrilled if we just kept doing it with Albert. Keeping it year by year is a great form of protection for the team. The player just gets pissed off after a while.

4. Remember, holding out for 6 regular season games would also keep him out of training camp and preseason, so it might be worth his while as an effort to avoid injury.

5. TitanJeff

Though it'll be a big deal if he misses training camp and the preseason, I don't think he's stupid enough to risk his career by starting the season out-of-shape. A major injury kills the deal. And if he's not playing at a high level due to a nagging injury or being gassed, everyone will know he was only a one-year wonder and his stock falls.

6. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

The thing about AH, is that he does not stay on the field. There are injury concerns there and others are noting that. He'd best be served to take the franchise tag tender and prove himeself. Quite personally, I'd rather see what he's got for another season. If he can't stay on the field, then I say let him walk, no sense in paying a part time player starter money.

7. TitanJeff

Al is going to want to be paid as the top DT in the league. If he can play another season like the last, he'd deserve it. But I don't think the Titans will pay him what he wants until he can prove last year wasn't a one-time deal.

8. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

The Jags franchised Donovin Darius three back-to-back seasons. Turned out pretty well for them. It was sort of a way for them to blackball him into signing a reasonable contract. Haynesworth would be in a similar situation as Darius. He isn't getting any younger. Chances are, if he has to be franchised a second time, he'll be a little more open to contract negotiations. You never know; one of those franchise seasons could be your last playing football. Hopefully though, he'll sign to a reasonable contract before or in July so we, as well as Haynesworth and the Titans don't have to worry about any franchise year.

9. I'm sure he won't just sit on his couch eating ho-hos (ho-hopefully). But I'm sure he'd love an excuse to skip 2-a-days and fake games while getting in playing shape...

10. That was under the old system and he never insisted on a guarantee that he wouldn't be franchised again. That won't happen here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar