The Crooked NCAA....

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Ubiq, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

But what if you have a freak athlete kid, and I'm some corrupt agent that's met you once or twice?

Then I shop your kid without his or your knowledge. Should the kid be ineligible?

Don't get me wrong, the ncaa is all f'd up. I don't think we should go as far as Broken Record suggests, but there does need to be a dynamic change.

2. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

There are also actual laws against it, so no, you couldn't do it 100% legally. I just don't think that if a player truly doesn't know what is going on (not talking about Newton specifically), that the player should be punished. There are plenty of people looking for a handout, from relatives to coaches to no telling who else. A player shouldn't be held accountable for someone trying to profit off of him, if that player doesn't realize what is going on.

3. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Or what about kid from a divorced home. I don't think it is that far out in left field to think that there aren't fathers out there who didn't raise the kid and didn't have much to do with the kid growing up, but will try to cash in at some point due to their kids success. That can very easily be done without the knowledge of the child, and in a situation like that the kid shouldn't be held responsible, IMO.

And I don't know what Cam did or didn't know. But keep in mind, he was at school in TX while his dad was in Atlanta, its not like they were joined at the hip and Cam knew every action his dad took. And there are many parents who will get involved in these types of situations to help their child make an educated decision. I think Cam probably knew something to some degree, but it isn't inconceivable that he was mostly in the dark about what was going on. At this point, none of us know anything and we are all speculating, and I have a hard time holding someone accountable based on speculation.

4. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Honestly I'd rather the players be suspended for the Sugar Bowl. I mean if we lose the Sugar Bowl oh well it's not going to ruin the season. I mean it's nice to be in the Sugar Bowl, but it's not like losing it will ruin the season. Next year missing 5 games, that's tough. Especially since 2 of them are against Miami and Michigan State. Good thing is Pryor will be in mid season form by the time we play and destroy Michigan again.

But seriously, I hope they all go pro, who cares? I mean they're going to miss half the season anyway, why bother? I'd rather just play Braxton Miller the #1 duel threat QB recruit and start developing him rather than hope we make it 5-0 so that we get Pryor back or something.

5. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Oh and to the people who want to be able to pay athletes. Athletes are paid, it's called they go to college for free. I owe probably $20,000 or so for my college, how much will Pryor owe for college? Would $0.00 be accurate? Not only that, I get out of school and even NFL minimum for one year is more money than I'll see in probably my first 5-10 years out of school. So no, they want paid? I say they already are. Rather than pay them maybe they need to stop being dumb asses about things and stop taking things for free. Oh and lets not forget boosters. Honestly, these people make me sick. They are the worst people, they are fans of the team? Sure, how about not screwing the team with your greed.

6. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

In order to shop a player, you must actually have legitimate say in where the kid goes to school. I doubt some random corrupt agent is going to be given the power over where a kid signs. If the parents or the player are stupid enough to hand over their recruitment to some turd they barely know then the kid should absolutely be ineligible for being so dumb.

Like I said earlier, some random Joe Blow asking a school for a pay-for-play isn't going to be taken seriously to begin with. These are carefully thought out ordeals.

7. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Sure that's possible, but honestly how many kids would let their dead-beat dad pick what school they went to? Recruiting & 18 year olds usually don't operate like that.

Again, if they're not a very very influential figure in the kid's recruitment then they aren't going to be taken seriously from the get go. What kind of booster would hand over a couple hundred grand to a guy that isn't going to be able to influence the Kid's decision?

8. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

That's not really true though. College football is a big business. HS recruiting isn't exactly secretive. You could very easily have someone with a connection, even a loose connection, to a player who approaches the top 2 or 3 schools that kid is considering, and seeing if you could get something extra out of it from one of the schools. Now, that person might not necessarily be able to convince that kid to go there, but he could easily then let that kid know that he will be getting benefits if he does go there. None of this is out of the blue. The FBI was involved with the Newton situation not really because of Newton, but because of the idea that there was a ring of guys doing this exact thing and shopping players around. I am not sure if the FBI is still involved, but that is why the FBI was brought in to investigate further and see if there was actual violation of laws dealing with the shopping of players.

9. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

They don't have to pick that school. YOu were saying if a player is shopped, then at that point that player is ineligible. Was that not your argument? If I am wrong, feel free to correct me. How does the NCAA or an individual school know who they should take seriously or not when regards to these kinds of things? I am sure they look into a kids background, but they are recruiting players, not selecting someone to be on the supreme court.

My whole point, is that you are acting like this was a black and white issue, which I dont feel it is at all. There are certainly gray areas when it comes to these types of issues. And in this day and age, it isn't hard to know what schools are seriously recruiting a player, and what schools that player is considering. That has potential to easily be exploited by people who really aren't involved in the situation.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

True, true.

The NCAA will wait til Cam Newton is gone and then punish kids from a team that has nothing to do with his shady dealings.

Gotta love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar