THE CONTRACT YEAR thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titan_fan_4ever, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

while some may say im looking too much into next year, im not. im holding johnson to his word of 10 strait hahaha. but in all honesty, one thing about this organization, is that they wait too long for keeping their players. i will not tolerate stupidity.

with so many players in contract years re-signings should already be happening. the only talks i have heard of was with KVB, back in october (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/10/20/titans-vanden-bosch-plan-to-hold-contract-talks/), and hes not even the most important lineman we should be talking to right now.

Really, the titans did the right thing with roos/stewy/bironoas when they locked them up and THEY HAVE ALL PAID THEIR DIVIDENDS AND THEM SOME; teams should learn from what helped success. and the longer we wait the more expensive some get.

YES:

Tony Brown - give him whatever he wants. this guy could be the reason albe was so good. get it done now. hopeful for a four year deal

Tully - hes in line to become a star. already a tackling machine in his two first years at start. with the ability to blitz aggressively comes an aspect lacking from our LBs.

Bo - Texas connection -- enough said.he's the total package, he blocks and catches well. i like him plus TEs are not expensive to keep.

Alge - he'll stay for a lot cheaper - blocking has been invaluable. eventually both will fade out a bit as cook gets more reps. But really, i like the rotation of the three.

Amano/Mawae - this was tough, but really it came down to keeping that line intact. Harris i wonder if he's actually better than amano and possibly mawae. its very tough to judge the o-line. but ill trust mike to that - really all three need to be kept. qbs are getting time and running lanes are being opened. as for their prices - i really dont know how much either will ask for; but ones really old and the other relatively unheard of so im guessing not too much.

Kearse - soley for that name hahaa. i just like this guy and never will forget his freak days here and injuries really ruined him. he was cheap and will be even cheaper (was he signed for vet min?). he's not a charity case - i still think he can produce in this sytem at times. really for depth though

NO

Harper - obviously. his time is up; hood is in the wing and will probably be the starter (unless some team grabs him somehow) come camp next season.

White - this guy will want a 'johnson' type role and the money with it. although, i wonder if anyone will giv it to him. backs are everywhere in the draft and for cheap in later rounds. i put him in no, but he's one of those players who might not find a suitor and come back

HMM... - how much we talking...how long....etc..

Fuller - this guy might be a star - as a starting safety the way he plays the slot. he covers good, plays the run, and generally is a sure tackler. but im worried as i think he knows this, and will want to be given starter money and the position to boot from a team. this said, i would be willing to pay him real good to keep him; he's here only b/c it might not be possible

KVB - i have a feeling he'll want to stay and wont mind taking a pay cut; but u never know. teams love overpaying this position more than any so its tough. i also predict he'll finish stronger - averaging over a sack in the remaining games, which will make things more complicated

Nickey - a special team ace - but i question his abillity as a player who couldn't beat out lowry for a safety start during injuries couple years back. that captain sign on his jersey though might make him cost more than needed. the draft is filled with players who can contribute on coverage and i want that 'C' on someone else's jersey

Bias

The BULL - just sign him hahha. i wont comment here.

did i miss anyone?

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

yes:
    bulluck- with the possibility of an uncapped year, we could very easily use one of our 2 franchise tags on him.

tulloch- if we don't resign him i will be terribly disappointed. i think he's the best lb on our roster right now.

tony brown- i'd re-sign him, but you know we typically don't keep DTs when they hit the market and i don't think tony is a special enough of a player for us to make an exception. but like i said, I'D re-sign him.

mawae- i know he's old, but he's still playing at a relatively high level. if he wants a two year deal i'd be all for it. i also think harris would be better at guard than at center.

no:
    nick harper- the guy shouldn't be starting now as it is. maybe he should be a nickel back because of his short area quickness and tackling ability, but he doesn't have the speed to play on the outside anymore.

eugene amano- this depends on whether mawae signs an extension and they feel harris can start at guard. we could do worse than him, but he's pretty immobile when it comes to pulling and with CJ's speed, we'll do a lot of that.

maybe:
    lendale white- obviously this depends on whether there is an uncapped year or not. if there is, he will be a restricted free agent and won't have a choice but to stay here unless someone wants to make a qualifying offer and lose a draft pick.

kyle vanden bosch- he's a hard worker, high-motor kind of guy and every team needs that, but at what cost? his play has obviously dropped off now that haynesworth is gone and he's getting pressure on sheer will rather than scheme or talent. if the price is right we could use him, if not, there are plenty of good pass rushers in the draft.

bo scaife- again, depends on his demands. he's not a top five TE, i wouldn't even put him in the top ten. he's a good player who's reliable, but we probably drafted his replacement last year in jared cook.

alge crumpler- he's a good blocker and isn't totally useless in the passing game, but we did draft craig stevens for his blocking ability and that is the exact role crumpler plays.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Fuller signed a new contract that takes him through 2011

Yes
    Bulluck,it's not a loyalty thing he's still one of the best in the league.
    Tulloch
    Brown
    Mawae
    Crumpler

White we have to tender him,it's worth a 2nd round pick if someone wants him. I like the guy and I don't think he'll command a high price.

No
    Scaife seems to have gone missing a lot this year with the exception of sundays game.

KVB,fantastic heart and attitude but he really isn't that good this year.

Amano,meh he's okay but I'd rather keep Mawae and bring Harris into the starting lineup. He looks good and is very versatile.

4. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

If Fisher is still here Nickey will be here as well. The two are like peas and carrots.

5. Titansfan10

Titansfan10 Camp Fodder

Tulloch needs to be kept, and you would be surprised at how many teams would take Lendale.. i say tender him for a 2nd rounder, again, you'd be surprised. I think his value is overlooked by Titans fans given how good #28 is. If KVB can be retained for a cheap 2-3 year deal, do it, it can't hurt he brings fire and intensity and leadership. Bulluck, sign him to a 3-4 year deal, pay the man he is still playing at a high level despite losing a step. Tony Brown...a must resign, he is a force this year. I believe Mawae will be resigned for a short deal or retire, no way he is just let go... Crumpler... interesting player because he is the perfect blocking tightend to have given the great defensive ends in the AFC south, Mathis, Williams, Freeney, and the up and coming JAX defenders Harvey and Groves. We will have to wait and see that one.

6. 24

24 Starter

Yes: Bulluck, Tulloch, Brown, Mawae

No: Crumpler, White, Harper, Amano, KVB

Maybe: Scaife

We should focus on DE or CB in the draft.

7. karmarouge

karmarouge Camp Fodder

I have followed this forum for a long time and finally decided to sign up and make a few posts. (Had some bad experiences with the morons who used to run the tomb)

Regarding Mawae, i wish sports fans would stop having unrealistic and borderline insane dedication to athletes. Much as I like him, this man is old and should not be on our squad next year. He is a great player with a ton of "dirty" tricks up his sleeve and as such, is hated as one of the most dirty players. He has lost his youth and now relies on experience to get away with things most young d line men have never seen or even experienced from an old dog like him.

But folks should not be 'afeared' of his departure. Harris can fill in beautifully for him and I am willing to bet that Harris will let our offense explode in ways most of you have seen but have already forgotten. I harken back to last year of course when Mawae was missing in both games vs the Steelers and then the Ravens in the play off games. Those were ranked as the top two defenses in the league at the time and yet the titans dominated both of them in ways that shocked the whole country. Granted he had a bad exchange with Collins on a 4th down play, that is to be expected any time a new person goes under center.

Frankly speaking I was shocked that Mawae was the starter this year instead of harris.

If anything i am more concerned about retaining harris and keeping him away from any other team. In my opinion this guy could very well become a top 3 at that position.

Did some one say we should keep freakin Donnie Nickey?:irked:

Ps..I do think Harris has to work on this shot gun snap and that this may be a weakness for him him. (I do vaguely recall some alarmingly horrible back to back snaps that might have been him back in preseason. They were so awful even my girlfriend who knows nothing about football looked up and asked me WTF was that?)

8. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

tully and brown everyone agrees on, which i really was not questioning.

mawae/amano/harris - i agree with the discussion. but i dont know after the year johnson is having and the protection they are giving young i dont want to disrupt that. in a list of importance over the long run harris would be number one - i still thing he could be the best and his versiliaty is superior to any other linemen on the roster (he can actually play C,G, and even T). i know he can start, but like i said who would want to disrupt that line. ------- question? i cant remember from the game, but i do remember dockett got three - does anyone remember who gave them up?

alge - some are saying no, but c'mon this guy came for cheap and his blocking has been amazing. he's definiltly looks to be playing with more pounds and its been great at blocking and he's still catching here and there.

bo - texas connection will get us first downs for the rest of the year. watch and see. and he too has been a good blocker.

basiclly now with young under center, TEs are far more important than before; i dont want to take away his crutch. sure he's using WRs more but he wont find them every week as often as with arizona. ppl have always been critical of this guy; he will not want top TE money and he will want to stay with vince. even elite TEs can be retained for under 5M a year; and this guy is around 3 a year.

the bull - 2. Titans need to extend LB Keith Bulluck - It's his 10th NFL season, and Keith Bulluck is still going strong. If Titans' management thought Bulluck might fade into the sunset in the final year of his deal, they were mistaken. Bulluck leads the team in tackles with 96 and is showing up in coverage every week. The team has not shown a sense of urgency in locking Bulluck up to an extension. It's looking like it might not. With his play and his durability - he’ll start his 125th consecutive game Sunday - he’s earned one. - GEORGE WALKER IV/THE TENNESSEAN - from the '5 things about the titans.' - i dont want to tag him; we could but i dont want that. he has 2 years of elite play left in him FOR SURE. give him a nice 3/4 year deal and hope for the best.

KVB - he likes jim and the system. i have a feeling he'll want to stay. he got his money with the 4 year extension. now he'll just want to play. but than again like i already said - "teams love overpaying this position more than any so its tough. i also predict he'll finish stronger - averaging over a sack in the remaining games, which will make things more complicated"

as for fuller that is awsome he has been resigned prior to this season.

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm all for LenDale's return. He makes life fun for the team. Since C.J.'s explosion LenDale has been hibernating, but I personally just like the kind of guy he is. I want him back. Same for Kearse, he brings good vibes to the team.

Tully, and Bulluck need to come back. I do like where McGrath is at, he'll eventually replace one of the two vets we have outside.

Let KVB go unless he wants a reasonable deal. Same for Brown. Tony Brown is a good piece of the line, so his departure could mean another sad September.

I'd like this whole roster to stay the same, except for corner. Harper is a liability waiting to happen. Move him or demote him. Either works for me.

10. iQon

iQon Starter

I'd say take a shot at signing:

Bulluck, Tulloch...

Scaife (reasonable price) AND Alge (just let him block)...

Amano and maybe Mawae (if he wants to stay, let him. But Leroy might be able to replace him)...

Fuller, Nickey, and Vanden Bosch can stay.

Vince... people forget he's basically, this year and next, in a contract year.

Let everyone else go and work on bringing in secondary and linebacker help. Hell, if we can find another disruptive nose tackle, chase him. Also would like a solid returner and a replacement for Hentrich.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar