The Colts wasted a 1st round draft pick

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Deuce Wayne, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

If you want to call it ridiculous that I refuse to declare winners or losers in trades until things actually play out, go for it. Go you.

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Actually I called it a ridiculous rationalization. I firmly believe you are intelligent enough to know the decision to recoup a 1st round pick for an underproducing player is a positive move in and of itself.

The question you are presenting regarding the value of the trade is separate of the actual trade itself. What Cleveland does with the pick is a reflection of their draft abilities and player development. The trade has provided the franchise the opportunity, or "second chance" if you prefer, to use a first round pick for a team need. This is a new GM, new head coach etc. The move was a brilliant business decision. If the pick they use fails to provide a team need or performance below a 1st round pick, that is an indictment of the player they chose, or their ability to develop that player. That is distinct from the process of gaining the opportunity to "re-coup" the loss incurred by the Richardson pick.

To believe this wasn't a good decision you have to believe that Richardson was performing at a level worthy of a 1st round pick. And we both know that wasn't the case.

3. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I'm just not willing to grant that Richardson's long-term value is less than the long-term value of a mid-first round pick in 2014. You seem to be (I don't want to put words in your mouth). Thus, I'm not willing to declare that the Browns made a good/bad move. I certainly won't call it "brilliant." I need to see Richardson next season before I can made any sort of determination along those lines.

I will, however, grant that the Browns did a great job getting max. value for Richardson at the moment the deal was made.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Agree. We are saying much of the same thing. However, this is a new Browns FO/HC and they have determined that Richardson was not what they wanted in their future. They want to go another direction as far as he is concerned. So it was a brilliant move (IMO) to re-coup their lost opportunity and quite remarkable they were able to do so with a 1st round pick given how poorly he was performing.

The "value" of trading Richardson IS dependant on his future performance. I understand where you are coming from on that point. On that subject, I don't believe Richardson is ever going to be what most envisioned he would. When the NFL implemented the rule against RB's leading with their helmet, they took away 99% of Richardson's greatness. His lack of vision is now exposed because his prior running style was simply blast through a gap in a downhill style. It's what he did at Bama, it's why he was moderately successful his rookie year.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

ummm then howd trent get a 1st lol

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

He got a much much lower first ;)

7. 520

520 2020 GOAT CHAMP from 3-7 to champ

yea I guess so

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Looks like @Deuce Wayne was right, but no surprise, i agreed with him at the time.

9. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Someone was right? Yeah I agreed with them from the outset.
    I even tried to get @Deuce Wayne an actress gig this past week...

• LOL LOL x 1
  10. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

couldnt wear high heels and dance backwards?

• LOL LOL x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar