The Alex Smith Leg Story

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by tard53, May 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tard53

tard53 Special Teams Standout

Ugh....I guess it gives me yet one more reason to step away from being a fan of this game.

Here's what Alex has gone through, so far, as told by his wife.

Warning, graphic content

Alex Smith's comeback: Inside the fight to save the QB's leg and life

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I made my son watch this last night.

Its important to know what youre signing up for.

If you dont love the game walk away while you can.

3. Vorsutus

Vorsutus Starter

How old is your son?

4. JCBRAVE

5. rock8titans

rock8titans Starter

Man, didn’t know how much he had to go through. But I admire his will to keep pushing through it all. Glad he was able to keep his leg, it looked pretty looked nasty.

But I can’t imagine him playing NFL football ever again.

When I had my rare ischemic brain stem stroke I was told I would never have the stamina to work FT again. It’s one of the deadliest of stroke types. I couldn’t stand, my balance was really screwed up, I had severe double vision, couldn’t swallow, I experienced muscle atrophy for being in a wheel chair for a few months. Currently only one of my vocal chords works, and I have no feeling on the whole left side of my body, and my right eye socket. Drs claim I’ll never get feeling back but I have already felt some slight changes in my fingers, hand and arm. I look fine, I am able to walk normally and people are shocked when I tell them I had a major stroke.

In rehab I pushed as hard as I could as I watched others slack on their rehab routine whenever the therapist stepped away. I did the opposite, they told me to do 10 reps, I did 30. Several therapists told me in their years there, they never witnessed anyone make as fast a recovery as I did from where I started. I kept thinking about my wife and 3yr old daughter home alone for those 3 months.

I made major lifestyle changes, lost 65lbs and have kept it off for 3 years, I’m at my college weight at 6’2” and 200lbs. I work 10-12 hours a day and am in the best shape since my early 30s, not bad for a 52yr old.

So this is why I can be a stickler and a pain in the ass about pushing a low, carb/sugar diet, and eliminating any inflammation by using all natural products no matter what it is, soap, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. I feel it has all helped me recover as much as I did and I’m confident it will be the best preventative to avoiding another stroke.

After a health scare or injury your perspective on things changes, there can be a positive that comes out of it once you get through it all.

Until you have a major health scare you’ll be hesitant to make lifestyle changes because you’ll think this can’t happen to me. Well I have news for you all, I thought the same thing once too. I was lucky, many people don’t get a second chance.

Sorry for the long post but couldn’t recall or wasn’t sure if anyone knew my story, I felt compelled to share.

#5 rock8titans, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    • High Five High Five x 9
    • Cheers Cheers x 4
  6. Vorsutus

Vorsutus Starter

Alright, not trying to give parental advice just curious. Would say that in the range I would tell them as well. To young or to late could be pointless.

Edit:i worded that terrible. Was saying that was a good choice for the age.

7. JCBRAVE

I give my son every chunk of info about football I can. Its a violent game that robs most out of something if they play long enough.

I just dont want him putting lingering injuries on me God forbid something happens.

Every member of our family wants him to play anything but football so its a constant battle of if this is the right sport for him...

But he loves the game

8. Tewa Titan

Tewa Titan Starter

It sucks what happened to him but you can't live your life in fear of something horrible happening to you, regardless of playing sports etc. Look at Bridgewater he literally just did a drop back in practice and his knee exploded on him, that could of been some joe blow somewhere stepping backwards playing with his kid.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. JCBRAVE

Agreed

You can die just driving to the store

Do what you love, if you do die, at least you died having fun.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. SalmonSlayer

SalmonSlayer Pro Bowler

I watched this tonight. I have a new found respect for Alex Smith. Damn, he leg looked so F-ed up! I'm rooting for him and it would be cool to see him play again and retire at his own terms.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar