The 2010 Official Reinfeldt is an Idiot Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Super Bowl rings that were won in the pre-cap era. You're comparing apples to oranges.

Also, since when is New England known as a team that overpays for free agents? They have let a ton of guys go rather than giving them too much money. In fact, they have really only started going after free agents in the last few years (when they stopped winning Super Bowls).

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

...Amano’s new contract runs through 2014. He’ll be paid $18 million over the first three years, including $12 million this year.... From the Tennessean http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...68/2162/Titans++Eugene+Amano+make+it+official

And you are making my point TJ. What does it hurt to front load a higher contract in this uncapped year? Dunta Robinson would have been nice. Leigh Bodden would be nice. "Big signings" can be done in a way this year to diminish the "cap effect" down the road.

Now I'm not totally down on MR, but I do think we are missing a great opportunity to take advantage of this uncapped year- especially when we have some glaring needs for vets at CB and LB- maybe even DE.

I also think we missed some opportunities. Cromartie comes to mind this year, especially now that Fish maybe be moving away from zone. (http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/showthread.php?t=56953)

Jets got him for a third round conditional to 2nd, with one year remaining. Wow- have that count against an uncapped year? hmmm- pretty smart trade in my book and we needed a CB worse than the Jets did.

3. TorontoTitanFan

Cromartie is not a good football player nor person. If not getting him is your example of what the Titans are doing wrong, you don't have much of an argument.

Why overpay for mediocre free agents just because you can (since it's an uncapped year)? If the FO knows they can get guys who are just as good and much cheaper later in free agency or the draft, it's much smarter to do that.

Just because guys are the "big names" available doesn't mean they would upgrade the team. Does Leigh Bodden make the Titans a Super Bowl contender? No.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Thefreak

Thefreak Shut Down Corner

:moon2:
    The reason they have an opportunity is that they are in big media markets. If they were in small markets like us they would be a lot more financially prudent.

Look up any sport you want and look up what media market they are in and check out their free agent spending. The small market teams rarely are big spenders. They just can't compete due to the lack of comparitive sponsors and media dollars rolling in.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Again, an uncapped season doesn't mean a team can bring in someone and pay that player's entire contact in one season. Amano got a $7.25 mil signing bonus. All signing bonuses are paid when the player signs. That amount is spread out over the length of the contract against the cap. His base for 2010 is $5.26 in base salary. It drops by 50% in 2011.

This says it better than I can explain:

Can’t a team just front-load a contract to take advantage of the uncapped year?
    No, this would be difficult to do. That is because, according to the CBA, any salary decrease of greater than 50% from one year to the next becomes signing bonus and thus is spread out over the life of the deal. For example, if the Patriots signed Vince Wilfork to a deal with a $20M salary in 2010 (uncapped) and a $4M salary in 2011 (capped), then that is a decrease of more than 50% ($10M), that $16M difference would become signing bonus and pro-rated over the life of the deal; if it was a four-year deal, then it would count as $4M/year, so the 2010 cap charge would reduce to $8M ($20M - $16M + $4M), and the 2011-2013 charges would increase by $4M.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/313167-uncapped-year-faq.html

So, though you can "front-load" a contract to an extent, it can't be more than double the next year's amount... which can't be more than than double the next year's... etc. Amano's $7.25 mil signing bonus is spread out over five years ($1.45 mil) so his cap hit in '11 will be $4.13 mil, in '12 be $5.13 mil and in '13 be $5.64 mil. That's why the Titans wanted to get $6.7 mil of the total contract paid in an uncapped season.

The Jets got Cromartie for a second-round pick if he plays a decent amount of snaps. They also only get him for one season. I'm surprised that the Jets didn't settle on a long-term deal because this looks to me to be giving up around pick #60 for the use of a player for ONE season until they do.

Would you give up pick #60 for the use of a #2 CB for one season?

6. Riverman

I'm not arguing wrong or right, I'm discussing what the Titans GM could do BETTER. And by your reasoning does Eugene Amano and Donnie Nickey make the Titans a Super Bowl contender?

We'll see about Cromartie. One year wouldn't have hurt anything. Right now pundits like Carl Banks (who I think has great insight) loves the move by the Jets.

7. Riverman

That is the old CBA and no guarantee that will be what is in effect. Also, you can simply construct the contract in a way the player could be cut after one season avoiding the escalating cap effects.

And in regards to Cromartie- we know second round picks come cheap right? We gave our away for Jared Cook- our 4th tight end with great "upside and potential". So it has to work out (as evidenced by the number of snaps) for the Jets to lose their second instead of their third and in that case the trade would have been worth the second. Missed opportunity by us- great move by the Jets. Plus we need a damn return man.

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I'm amazed with zero playoff wins since 2003 that so many are "all praise the Titans and there decisions to not spend money!"

I'd like a championship. Sure didn't hurt the Saints to bring in Darren Sharper.

Time to get over the "salary cap purge" fear and the "we wasted money on Carl Pickens" issues.

As much as anyone wants to sit here and praise every decision the Titans make, and diss on every free agent as "average", where are the results?

It's very possible one or two different players would've brought us a championship in the past few years.

• High Five High Five x 3
  9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

No. That is the current CBA which ends at the end of the 2010 season.

As to your other point, a signing bonus spread over the length of a contract which means that if a player gets $26 mil on a six-year deal, that goes $4.3 against the cap each season. When a player is cut, all that goes against the cap the following season as dead money. In the case where a player is cut after the first season, nearly $22 million would go against the cap the next year.

Seriously? If the Jets can't work out a long-term deal for him you feel pick #60 is worth the use of him for ONE season?

10. TorontoTitanFan

Sure hurt the Redskins to bring in Adam Archuleta in 2006. Sure hurt the Dolphins to bring in Gibril Wilson last year.

Look at the big picture. For every example of success, there are many examples of failure.

Signing big name free agents =/= winning the Super Bowl. Far from it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar