The 2010 Official Reinfeldt is an Idiot Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It happens every year. MR will be called an idiot repeatedly because the Titans won't outspend idiot teams like the Redskins and Raiders.

By who? He was considered an injury risk but not overpaid. His signing bonus was just $8 mil and he made another $2 mil in base in 2006. Contrast that to Vick who made $23.1 mil in '05.

And for every decent early free agency signing you can post, I can post five who were terribly overpaid. There are plenty of articles out there documenting them these days.

Amano's deal is five-years, $25 mil. Two seasons ago, Jacob Bell signed a six-year deal worth $36 mil. So tell me again how the Titans overpaid?

• High Five High Five x 4
  2. TitanJeff

The public knew he was a toke away from a year's suspension. That alone was enough.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Front loaded the deal $12.5 million for next year alone. $12.5 million for one year's work. You honestly telling me that Amano is worth $12.5 million next year?

6y $36million for a guy no longer on the team? I don't know how much his was front loaded but that was money well spent huh?

4. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

He's not worth 12,5M next year, but he's definitely worth 12,5M/4 years.

5M/year for an O-line in his prime is a fair bargain.

Edit: The 36M/6 year deal was with the Rams, not the Titans.

5. TitanJeff

Examples, please. Since Reinfeldt has been the GM, what Titans should he have outbid other teams to keep? What players went early to other teams the Titans should have outbid who actually lived up to their contracts?

Reinfeldt, and the Titans organization in general, build through the draft and use free agents to plug holes. It's proven to be most successful way to keep the core together for just about every one of the best teams in the league.

Again, there will be a salary cap again in 2011 (assuming no strike). The CBA rules don't allow teams to sign a free agent and give them the entire contract's worth of money in an uncapped season.

I get as frustrated as anyone when I see quality players go to other teams. I get especially frustrated when I see players the Titans have drafted depart. But I also see that the vast majority of signing (and non-signings) the Titans have made have been the right call. We now have a few seasons in which to evaluate decisions MR has made his first couple of seasons and they have been solid.

As for my own "homerism", I think I do give our front office a lot of credit. But I've also been critical at times of Fisher, various players, draft picks and even free agency when a quality player, at a reasonable price, isn't pursued.

On the flip side, we have people here already critical of Reinfeldt before free agency started.

6. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

We better be bringing in a cb and soon

7. DelawareTitan

DelawareTitan Starter

The larger marke teams can afford to take risks. I agree, but how many of those large market teams you just named have won a super bowl in the last 10-15 years? None of them! Yes and Dallas FA history does speak for itself, overspending will get you NOWHERE! One Name ROY WILLIAMS!!!!

8. TitanJeff

I'm not sure I understand your point here. We are in an uncapped season. If the Titans are going to sign someone, why not go ahead and get more of the signing bonus paid this season?

But if you want to compare contracts, I think you need to look at guaranteed money. Amano received a signing bonus of $7.25. Only $3 mil more is guaranteed which means his contract ended up right at $10.25 mil guaranteed.

Bell was given a $7 mil signing bonus and guaranteed $13 mil two season's ago by the Rams.

9. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

...meanwhile all the so called teams that overpay (like Dallas, Pittsburg, New England etc.) all have MULTIPLE Superbowl rings. Yeah our front office is brilliant i tell you, We're in a class by ourselves... that is if you don't count teams like detroit and cinncinatti

10. TitanJeff

Case and point.

Who have those teams signed the first week of free agency? Brookings cost the Cowboys a three-year deal worth $6 mil. The Pats signed Fred Taylor last season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar