Texans' tenets: More aggressive defense

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<p><em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em></p> <p>Last week I <a href="/blogs/afcsouth/0-8-14/Magic-wand--Alter-one-Texans--tenet.html" target="_blank">posed this question</a>: What one philosophical tendency, trend, tenet or practice would you like to see the Texans change, and why?</p> <p>As opposed to some previous questions you've encountered here, I wasn't looking to reach any sort of consensus, just to stir some debate. Based on your responses, I think we got that, though the Texans are always a toughie on long term stuff because they are still an infant as an organization.</p> <p>So here's the best of what you had to say with some of my thoughts interspersed. Thanks for all the quality feedback.</p> <p><strong>Jim in Houston:</strong> The Texans have recently had great success with draft classes, but utter failure through free agency. It would be nice to bring players that have an immediate impact on top of developing draft picks.</p> <p><strong>Paul Kuharsky:</strong> Perhaps <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5660" target="_new">Antonio Smith</a> will start to change that. I've heard good things about him and I like his size.</p> <hr /> <p><strong>Ken in Houston:</strong> I'd like to see a significant change from <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=5937" target="_new">Richard Smith</a>'s grab/read/react model to an aggressive, attacking model that forces the action. Sure, that style will occasionally get beat for a big play, but the Texans need to drastically improve their defensive performance. If they can get just a top-15 defense to go with their top-5 offense, they will be serious playoff contenders.</p> <p><strong>Wasteph:</strong> The philosophical tendency I would like to change in Houston is the defensive scheme. Yes we fired Richard Smith but for some reason we hired the next guy in line (Frank Bush) instead of going out and paying for some real talent. Bush is friends with Kubiak and Smith and eveyone speaks highly of him but the fact remains that if he was really all that great he should have said something the last few season when we were stopping nobody! We need to be more physical, blitz, and confuse teams instead of allowing teams to know exactly what we are going to do. Our defense has some players but better coaching is a must. The Texans have a chance to not only make the playoffs but to win the AFC South in 2009 if they can get their act together on defense. I believe we are having a solid offseason in signing Smith and Orlovsky but the draft is going to be very important for this team. We need to focus on defensive help and the offensive line and that is it.</p> <p><strong>Kelvin in San Francisco:</strong> I would love to see the Texans develop some sort of identity on defense...recently there have been calls for a more aggressive, blitz-heavy defense but I would be happy with any sort of defensive identity.</p> <p><strong>Paul Kuharsky:</strong> They were more aggressive late in the season with some success, but of course they had little at stake and Smith was removed. The talk is that they will be more aggressive under Frank Bush, so you're going to get your wish. The question is, to what degree?</p> <hr /> <p><strong>Jim Bramanti:</strong> I am an enormous Texans supporter, but I find it classless, unpatriotic, and detracting from the overall gameday experience that the team doesn't come on the field until AFTER the National Anthem. Needs to be changed.</p> <p><strong>Paul Kuharsky:</strong> Not exactly the sort of thing I was expecting or looking for, but... I do agree and have written that I think it takes away from the pregame pageantry for the anthem to be sung while the teams are in the locker rooms.</p> <hr /> <p><strong>Guy Round Rock, TX:</strong> Can we get some of our money back from <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=752" target="_new">Tony Boselli</a>?</p> <p><strong>Arthur:</strong> I've said it a thousand times, but I'll add another one....Blitzing often and from every position, not just junior high linebackers and after the snap. Most praised coordinators in the league have special blitz packages, disguise them well, and use them often!</p> <p><strong>Mad Mike in Houston:</strong> Paul: I would say I have two issues and I am not sure which is worse. But, I digress and here we go. I would like to see us make a greater concerted effort to re-sign our own key guys. For example, Daunta, DeMeco, OD and a few other have not been extended. I realize Daunta had an injury, but he showed he still has it, sign him dammit. The other is not every new player or coach has to have a tie to Denver. Thanks......MM</p> <p><strong>Paul Kuharsky:</strong> As the Broncos have a new regime, I think the Texans will now be less inclined to rely on Denver ties. Antonio Smith knew Frank Bush from Arizona, and Bush was an assistant in Denver. Do you count that?</p> <hr /> <p><strong>Chris in Austin:</strong> RE: Change one Texans Tenet Hey Paul, love the blog as always. You'll hear a lot about how we won't chase guys with character issues, and about the "Denver Pipeline," but my biggest wish is that they would stop being afraid to draft a safety early in the draft. The Texans have never drafted a safety higher than the fourth round - ever - and they wonder why their safety play is usually terrible, and average at best in their franchise history.</p> <p><strong>Paul Kuharsky:</strong> I agree it's a position that needs to be addressed and they should do more to get better there. Too bad there is no safety worth the 15th pick in this draft.</p> <hr /> <p><strong>Barry Davis:</strong> It was great to see the offense finally move the ball last year. Sadly, most of that movement was outside the red zone. I would love to see them be able to, not only be able to punch the ball into the end zone more often once they get inside the 20, but also be able to sit on a lead late in a game by running the ball down an opponent's throat.</p> <strong>kcwilson2704:</strong> Week to week consistency in intensity - especially on defense. Some weeks, we lose inexplicably (Oakland, where we don't even get the ball in AJ's hands). Other weeks, we are unstoppable. I agree that turnovers kill us, both in the amount we give and the lack of creating them. <p><strong>mrm17:</strong> How about the fact they seem to "finish strong"? I am so sick of being out of the playoff race before Thanksgiving, beating a bunch of teams playing out the string, and then hearing an offseason of "turning the corner", which of course spurns "well-earned" ticket and parking price increases.....</p> <p><strong>Paul Kuharsky:</strong> That is a disturbing trend and I understand your frustration. The Texans need better Septembers and Octobers so we can see how they fare in meaningful games in November and December.</p>

More...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar