Texans not tagging Mario Williams

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by corymiller, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

We are to busy franchising "average" players and working on deals for career back ups. We have sure made alot of very average players millionaires. I would have drather us give deals to cook, Mccourty, and other young guys before they break out. Than give deals to guys they are never going to break out.

Mario would be huge and would upgrade us big time but I do not see that happening.

2. DownSouthPlayer

DownSouthPlayer Starter

Titans don't really go after big FA, we like to draft guys make them studs then let them walk when they want to much $. CJ and Britt are headed down that road now.

3. cdubbs2121

cdubbs2121 Pro Bowler

What?? Did you miss the whole CJ contract dispute last year then giving him a longer contract?

4. bigdogtitan

bigdogtitan Camp Fodder

If we go out and sign Mario Wiliams and re-sign some of our role players for depth I have no problem with that.Signing a top free-agent is not a horrible thing to do if he is a difference maker. Signing every top rated player at a particular position all in one year is.

5. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

Hawk 1.26 million
    Otto 1.13
    Stevens 2.13
    Divens 500k
    Griffin 6.2 million

Backups can actually be quite important. Some people say that Stevens made too much, but 2 million for our only blocking TE... they have to make something. Not sure what the average TE's salaries are, but 2 million isnt excessive.

Griff is an issue, maybe they plan on a long term deal with him. who knows. We have to field a team, and that includes backups. The same 11 people on offense and 11 people on defense are not always on the field.

Youre also assuming that Cook and McCourtey would even take a new deal right now.

Basically im not so sure what you are unhappy with... except griff.

6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

We REALLY need a quality DE. Williams is pretty good- he just happens to be the best on the market this year. Without him, we just aren't going to see much difference in our pass rush. We can't get any serious interior disruption from our DT's- they just aren't that dominant. Even if we draft a DT early we aren't going to get any interior disruption.

So unless we get Williams, I just don't see our D being much improved from last year. (Especially with our secondary). I'm ambivalent on getting Williams- I don't like the idea of overpaying this guy with his injury history. But I guess I'd rather overpay a bit because watching the Titans defense last year was painful.

7. satkins2252

satkins2252 Starter

Again, for all those interested in a DE, I really think a great move would be to sign John Abraham. Ive heard that he is too old but he is still productive. In fact, he has been more productive over his last 6 years than Mario has been in the 6 years of his career. Abraham has posted 58.5 sacks compared to Mario's 53. I think he still has 2-3 good years in him which will buy us time to solidify our DL through future drafts while providing an excellent pass rush for the time being. Not to mention at a cheaper price.

Same production, less cost.

8. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

I'm starting to get weirded out by your love for John Abraham.

9. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

If it was John Abraham of 7 years ago I'd be all for it.

Then again he did have 9.5 sacks last year.

10. satkins2252

satkins2252 Starter

The more I read the more it makes sense. Last year he produced 9.5 sacks while Mario hasnt produced over 9 in the last 3 seasons. Last year was not just a one-year-wonder. In 2010, he produced 13 sacks. Not bad for an old man.

I'm just providing a more realistic scenario.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar