Post-Game Thread Texans 34-Titans 17

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Nov 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SalmonSlayer

SalmonSlayer Pro Bowler

I think you're seeing it wrong as you or we are getting the benefit of overhead camera view. If you were MM8 and seeing this at eye level, the pressure is coming in and collapsing rather quickly from both left and righ sides which blocks his view to see Jonnu as he is stepping up. Count the seconds when the ball is in his hands after it is snapped. This is not like Watson getting 5 or 6 seconds to fully scan the field. I don't know how you can blame MM8 for this loss? I mean he was throwing well but the OC just went full retard mode.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

MM is the last person that I blame for the loss. I'd just like to stop seeing him take unnecessary hits. There really was no reason for him to try and fit through that opening. Him panicking and making questionable decisions just plays into the hands of defenses. I can't say that I could stand cool in the pocket or steer clear of rushers while keeping my eyes downfield, but it's not exactly uncommon for NFL QBs now. There are some very good QBs who are pressured just as much or more than Mariota.

I can't say I understand the approach of our OC. Mariota must still be feeling the effects of the injury, because we sure seem hesitant to drop him into shotgun or run any RPOs. I have no idea what was going on with the Jon nu/Watt matchup. I thought that we would be done seeing stupid crap.

3. SalmonSlayer

SalmonSlayer Pro Bowler

Lafleur majorly failed last night. No in game adjustments, I think he was just sticking to a script? Wtf, down 17 and still just handing off majority of the time on 1st down. Mm8 just connected to Corey deep then no more shots all game? What a cluster fawking call on 4th to let Stocker run!

4. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Dude that wasnt an unnecessary hit. He was trying to step up in the pocket. This example is exactly why interior pass rush pressure is so important. QB tries to step up and can’t which leads to sacks/throws off the back foot. Sacks and turnovers is what wins games on defense.

Watt and Clowney moved around on our line all night long. Clowney was constantly rushing up the middle on Kline and Spain. That’s what they do. They move those guys around on the weakest O-line guys.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. titanfanatic

titanfanatic I Piss Excellence Staff

Per @PFF, #Titans' Kline allowed 9 pressures, 8

QB hurries and 1 sack against #Texans⁠ ⁠.

Here's a full list of pressures, sacks:

Kline (9 pressures, 1 sack)

Lewan (3 pressures, 0 sacks)

Conklin (3 pressures, 1 sack)

J. Smith (2 pressures, 1 sack)

B. Jones (1 pressure, 1 sack)

6. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

So Ben Jones is the problem or at least a large part of it yet most of this board call out Conklin.
    I’d say jones should be the focal point of change on the OL then.

7. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

I don’t think it’s that simple, no. Players have to have skill to get the job done at the end of the day. If Jones get us in the right protection but Conklin just gets beat that’s not on Jones.

That being said everyone on the line should be in question at this point. We should be evaluating everyone.

8. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

But what happened over a year? Is jones not helping the line with the changes or are these guys really that bad they can’t adapt to change?

I do still think Conklin hasnt recovered. I don’t mean he’s playing hurt, but like many players after a major injury, it still takes time to get the mind right about the recovery too.

9. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

LaFleur has been nowhere near as good at play calling as I expected, he looks lost. Down by 17, and that's when he decides to start giving Henry touches? And that FB run instead of giving it to Henry, my lord.

Also, what has happened to Landry? I've completely forgotten about him the past few weeks. He was wreaking havoc early this year but I don't think I've noticed him for the past few weeks.

10. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Agreed about Conk. Going to give him the benefit of the doubt because of the missed time.

I think a few different things can be looked at as a realistic explanation. First is the scheme change, going from more of a power scheme to a zone blocking scheme. I think is a big reason why the run game has struggled so much this year. Zone blocking is perfect for one cut backs (think Arian Foster). This is why he was so good. The O line basically moves the defender enough to allow for cutback lanes and then they move to the 2nd level. That’s my understanding of it anyway. Never played O line so maybe that’s not 100% correct.

Honestly not familiar enough with zone pass blocking so maybe @Gut can explain why it would affect that aspect more.

But also have to wonder how the communication has been. That’s a very real concern way too many unblocked defenders and effective 3 man pass rushes to not be concerned about that.

Pair that with the Titans losing Delaine (who was also a great blocker) and DeMarco Murray and you have the disaster we are looking at.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar