Terrelle Pryor...what pick would you use for him?

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by RollTide, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

First off, I didn't cherry pick those stats, they were from an ESPN article.

Secondly, there isn't a single scouting report you will find that has Pryor rated as an accurate passer. Either the entire scouting world is wrong, or Rolltide is. I'll take my chances going with the masses and everything I have seen the last three years on this one.

"Weaknesses: Pryor is a raw quarterback who needs to greatly improve his accuracy if he is ever going to become a quality starting QB in the NFL. Of the 40 quarterbacks I have charted over the past four years, Pryor’s accuracy ranked 36th out of 40. He needs to stride into and follow through on his passes more consistently in order to improve his accuracy. He obviously needs to work on his mechanics, but if he can improve his accuracy, then the odd look of his release would not be as big of an issue. With the baggage he is bringing from Ohio State, Pryor faces a big job to prove he has the leadership skills and intangibles to lead NFL players.

Bottom line: Now that Pryor has announced he won't return to Ohio State, it is assumed he will declare for the supplemental draft this summer. He is a rare physical specimen, but he is a long-term project who is going to need to greatly improve his accuracy to make it as an NFL QB. If you break down all of Pryor’s throws on film, he does not grade out high. But if you put together a highlight tape of his best plays—both as a passer and runner—there is a wow factor that is hard to overlook. If it were not for the off-field issues that have come to light recently, his talent would have likely led a team to gamble on him earlier than his overall game warranted. But now he will likely slide into the late rounds of the supplemental draft because quarterbacks with accuracy issues struggle greatly in the NFL. When you factor in questions about his maturity and decision making, there are too many issues and concerns to take him early."

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-06-08/scouting-report-ohio-state-qb-terrelle-pryor

From his sophomore season
    http://walterfootball.com/mattblog090915.php

Mel Kiper
    "I'm sure you'll hear the easy comparisons of Pryor as a quarterback to recent No. 1 overall pick Cam Newton. Both are tall, strong, athletic players who have been able to use elite running skills to augment their passing repetoires. But Pryor is far behind Newton in terms of how he grades out as a quarterback. He has mechanical issues, he has accuracy issues and he has decision-making questions he needs to answer. Newton grades out well ahead in those areas."

He goes on to talk about how he should make the transition to WR or TE as does Todd McShay.

"The two most important areas for an NFL quarterback are football intelligence and accuracy, and Pryor is below-average in both areas. His footwork and mechanics are often sloppy and he doesn't always step up in the pocket when he should, which leads to him floating too many throws. Pryor also does not show the ability to read coverages effectively and is not close to where he needs to be mentally as a pro-style quarterback

And don't be fooled by Pryor's improved passing stats in 2010.

Overall, he completed 65 percent of his passes with 27 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. But against the best five defenses he faced -- Iowa, Miami, Wisconsin, Illinois, Penn State -- Pryor completed only 55 percent with six touchdowns against five interceptions.

When throwing against the eight other defenses on Ohio State's schedule -- Indiana, Purdue, Minnesota, Michigan, Arkansas and non-AQs Marshall, Ohio and Eastern Michigan -- Pryor completed 72.3 percent with 21 scores and six interceptions."

2. Fry

And I'm still waiting for you list off all of the skills that he has that will translate into him being an effective NFL quarterback.

3. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

He doesn't have as much natural skill as Vince did coming out of college, and he is probably in worse shape than Vince was coming out of college mentally.

So no, I don't think the Titans would get him in the 7th

4. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

The same way McElroy, who I'm sure you are familier with, was even drafted. (Was he drafted? IDK). He had a raw team.

Pretty much the opposite of Locker, who had a terrible team that was questionable being in D1, much less the Big ten

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Pryor is worth nothing more than a 5th rounder. If we even lineup for this kid, I'd be shocked. Miami maybe would want him... Not really sure where he'd do well.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

That's cherry picking if you ask me. What about his 2 straight bcs mvp games? I guess the rose bowl and the sugar bowl are mickey mouse games that don't matter.

And how is that revealing? Name an nfl QB who doesn't do more poorly against elite top 10 defenses? Manning and Brady do the same. Has Tom Brady even won a single playoff game since the pats were in the super bowel in 07?

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Mcelroy was drafted in rd 5 by the Jets.

Is Mcelroy an elite type athlete who is 6'6 and runs a 4.5 40?

8. Fry

How about instead of trying to poke holes in everyone else's arguments, which you haven't really done a good job of anyway, you try to make a case for Pryor.

Other than his college winning %, which means nothing, and his athletic ability, what does he have that will make him a successful NFL quarterback? It's not his accuracy, his mechanics, his ability to read defenses, his leadership ability or his work ethic.

At least with Tim Tebow you could make the intangibles argument. With Cam Newton you had his ability to block things out and play well, along with toughness.

Soooo, yeah...

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Pryor has no skills to be an nfl player. Under sized, no arm strength, no mobility.

98.88256% of his passes went into the hands of the opposing team but thanks to incredible stud receivers he was made to look like he completed 65% of his passes.

Despite throwing into coverage he managed to have 16 more Tds than ints. Again the stud receivers!

He's too dumb to know the plays and on a few occasions he lined up for the wrong team.

His 4 100+ yards rushing games were simply the result of buckeye players knocking every defender on the field on their arse.

10. Fry

So you've got nothing as to what skills he has that project to the NFL level? That's what I thought, of course, I told you that six pages ago.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar