TE Jared Cook moving on from Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Mar 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Tight end Jared Cook has a new team, and is leaving the past behind.

Cook was introduced as a press conference in St. Louis Thursday morning after signing a five-year, $35.1 million deal with the Rams. Cook said the Titans made attempts to keep him even after opting to use the franchise tag on him.

The Titans never rose to the $7.02 million per year he received from the Rams, and the team eventually signed former 49ers tight end Delanie Walker.

“There were negotiations, they made offers,’’ Cook said of the Titans. “But obviously it didn’t work out too well. I feel like I am in a great organization and in the right position to make me a better player and for a great future. .. I am blessed to be here. ”

The Titans opted not to place the franchise tag on Cook because of a fight that would have taken place had they franchised him as a tight end. Cook’s agents were ready to take challenge the designation, arguing he should be paid as a receiver because he mostly lined up off the line of scrimmage. The case would have gone before an arbitrator.

After first planning to use the tag on Cook, the Titans changed their minds.

“I wasn’t really surprised because my (agents) were prepared, and we were ready and we knew the obstacles we had in front of us. So it really wasn’t a surprise to me,’’ Cook said. “I think it was more of a surprise to them. I didn’t get franchised and I am here, and it’s a great thing.”

So did Cook have a case?

“The statistics show it,’’ he said. “But that’s neither here nor there. We’re not there any more.”

Rams Coach Jeff Fisher, formerly of the Titans, said he’d hoped things would play out like it did.

“We had our eye on Jared throughout the offseason, not knowing whether he was going to be available,’’ Fisher said. ”When we found out he was going to be available, we got right to work. The coaches are very excited. I, personally, am very excited. Obviously I know Jared very well and know he is going to be a big part of our offense.”

Cook said on Thursday he’s “ecstatic” to be with the Rams.

He talked with confidence.

“I see the word potential as you really haven’t done nothing, and I don’t see that as myself,’’ said Cook, who had 131 catches for 1,717 yards and eight touchdowns in four seasons with the Titans. “I am the elevator going up, and I don’t see me looking back at all.”

He was also very clear with his plan on succeeding with the Rams, even if his words might’ve been a little too graphic for some.

“If you are a football player, you love every aspect of the game. That’s what you play for. You play to line up on Sundays. You play to kill the man in front of you, and just murder him, embarrass him, pretty much. That’s what you line up for,’’ Cook said. “You play for the love of the game, and that is what I am here for. I am here to play and get better and be a great tight end, and look good doing it.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

Thanks Cook for four great years here with the Titans! Hope the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Oh and by the way, break a leg kid...or better yet tear an ACL.

3. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

Thats just uncalled for....

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Probably

5. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

What an ass, didn't thank us or anything. Happy to let him move on, good riddance douche!

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

He left one staff that couldn't find a way to use him back to the first HC that couldn't either..
    He coulda been good, but not here - and probably not there either..

7. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

7 million for 500 yards and 4 TDs.

Good one Fish

8. MrBean

MrBean Master of Not Much

So basically his news conference was him saying he was ready to be a locker room nuisance if he was tagged. good riddance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar