TE Fred Davis in the Second Round

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Architect, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Still that leaves 2 positions of need. And that's only if you think 1 new DE or DT solves our D-line problems... I happen to believe we truly need one of each.

I can't help the coaches being blind. But I bet if we draft a WR early, he will have equal stats to the number2 WR... basically Gage or Roydell ends up being number1 statwise, and the other and draft pick tie for 2nd place statwise.

A new DE or DT would definately see significant playing time.

CB I'm not as sure, but I imagine even just for nickel situations and in relief, a new CB would help the team more than a new drafted TE at this point.

2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

If WR goes in the first he's top 3 on the depth chart.

3. Alex1939

By that logic I might as well just assume that the 2008 Titans will have no more talent than the 2007 Titans talent, and perhaps less talent overall.

Once again, we have cap room to re-sign Scaife AND/OR Crumpler if either live up to number1 TE potential for us. The reward for drafting a TE this season is much less than gaining a new true number1 WR,DE,DT,CB... any of which is possible in our first two rounds this draft.

It's very unlikely that Roydell or B.Jones become longterm answers at WR. Even less odds for Paul Williams, Chris Davis, Mike Williams, or whoever else buster we have. Harper won't be here much longer. And Haynesworth may or may not, and the D collapsed without him last season.

Not to mention the new needs we'll be needing in a few seasons at OLB.

Hell, we might as well draft a QB and TE in the first 2 rounds this year and just agree we are starting over, again.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

and we'd have 6 more picks...

5. Alex1939

I don't plan for 3rd rounders or later to become starters, do you?

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

no, but i don't plan on first or second rounders to be starters this year either. as long as they contribute this year, anything else is a bonus.

7. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Fred is a beast. Would love to have him here. Hell, why is everyone acting like we've never had 4th rounders as starters around here, so let's not act as if we CAN NOT find starters in the later rounds of the draft, but then again, that was FR drafting and not MR. Draft the best available player, that's always the plan.

8. Alex1939

Then we should seriously consider drafting Brian Brohm at 24.

Vince only has 2 years left on his contract. We have no idea if he will develop more as a passer. (Like Crumpler's knee concerns or Scaife's game elevating). Probably should go OLB in the 2nd round too. Because in a few years Bulluck and Thornton will be too old to keep production up.

News flash: Rebuilding is over. We need to add pieces to help the current team. A freaking third TE doesn't do that.

Yes we've had 4th, 5th, 7th rounders as starters on the team. But that shouldn't be what we are hoping for.

9. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

NewsFlash: Rebuilding is over, yes, but aren't we BUILDING, to be a better and DEEPER team. Depth is what it is all about. And Blakely got cut once, who says he's a shoe in to make the team????

Having enough luck, foresight, or keen intuition to see that a 4th, 5th, or 6th rounder is a starter IS WHAT EVERY GM hopes for: that every drafted player is at least a significant role player, if not a starter. Isn't that's why they get drafted in the first place???

10. Alex1939

Yeah of course we hope to get studs in the late rounds, but we shouldn't be hoping that those late picks become starters, because, imo, we should be hoping our 1st and 2nd rounders become starters, and many of those are probably in the same position.

I also think this whole draft BPA regardless is a total myth. Should the Colts and Patriots draft a QB in round 1 if they have a QB as BPA? Should the Chargers draft a RB? Should the Vikings take a DE now?

It's easy to say, draft best player available. But I think in reality, you draft the best player available in a need position, unless the need position is so far down the list based on what happens in the draft.

I just can't see a justification to draft a TE in the first 2 rounds, unless the coaches/FO know something we don't, and they don't believe either Crumpler or Scaife will play this season. Because if they are the starters, we are in a position to re-sign them for as long as we want if they have good years. What will we do with Fred Davis then if we have 3 good TEs? Sure, you can say let Crumpler or Scaife walk... but then this team hasn't gotten any better. It's only replaced a position that wasn't in need.

If you want to try to find a TE that may become a starter in rounds 3-7, that's fine by me. But if we want the 2008 Titans to be a better team than the 2007 Titans, then we need people that can contribute immediately. A #3TE on the draft chart won't do near as much as new WR,DT,DE,CB would.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar