Tannehill contract 2023

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Rwill, Jan 10, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

He’s a sucky rookie who may improve to less sucky.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • LOL LOL x 1
  2. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Willis looked bad but I think he gets another season at least, our OL and WRs wouldn't help any QB...unless he was strictly a JRob pick and the new regime wants their own backup QB

3. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

If I’m the new GM, I keep him, though he’s third in line. If at the end of next season no major improvement, then he’s gone and I try again.

4. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Willis needs to spend the entire offseason studying how to read defenses. He has the arm and running talent, but reading defenses is his achilles heel right now. His throwing will get better with an entire offseason of throwing to WR/TE routes he knows he will see a lot.

5. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I can imagine if Lance is another Mahomes, but there’s nothing to suggest thats even remotely the case.
    currently, it looks like Purdy may be an upgrade basically by limiting the QB usage to a lesser volume and just playing safe.

6. HurrayTitans!

QB matters but it’s far from a be all end all.

some of your examples aren’t as cut and dry as a QB was added either.

texans had a 5 of 6 year run as an over .500 team. Then one down year gets them Watson for 2 more really good seasons. I’d say the team was decent before QB.

chargers were “competitive” albeit inconsistent, before Herbert, and really after.

jags are a 9-8 team that won a s**t division. They’re not that good now. Maybe Lawrence is what got them 3-4 more wins but it still isn’t a very good team.

I’d make more of a case that the Giants have turned around more because of Jones than the Jags because of Lawrence.

Still leaves other examples like the Seahawks getting Smith and the Lions getting Goff and turning their team direction around by tons.
    Seahawks are a really unique example because they were crap with Wilson then improved greatly using Geno Smith. No one will make the argument Smith is a “franchise QB” and there’s no reason to think Wilson isn’t still one of the best QB despite his down year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. HurrayTitans!

Exception would equal a much smaller percentage, but when it’s close to 30-40% (depending on whatever “elite” means) then it’s not just exception.

that also is dismissive of my earlier point where you are literally using just the SB winner as an example of a team capable of winning the SB.
    Every year only one can win, which isn’t even always the best team, but multiple were right on the doorstep (I’d say very capable) but lost in the SB or Conf Champ.

If anything, because of the dominance of Brady, the “elite” QBs are wing only as many as “non-elite” if Brady is taken out.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. HurrayTitans!

Hard to argue eras, but post 2005, we’ve seen huge upticks in QB production and the league rules pushing for more points and passing.
    Since then, depending what you call “elite”,
    it looks like this:
    Elite:
    Peyton, Brees, Big Ben, Rodgers, Brady x4, Wilson. 9 total.
    Not elite:
    Eli x2, flacco, foles, Stafford, Peyton (2015).
    6 total.

that’s more than just “exception to rule” and also removes the SB loser, and both conf champ. losers.
    I think we can agree that sometimes very good teams lose to very good teams meaning the loser of those games was also very “capable” of winning the SB and their QB should very much count in this same argument.

9. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

It doesn't completely remove the exception to the rule...maybe Eli, Stafford or the later Peyton weren't elite but they were or viewed as franchise QBs....we even tried to sign Peyton at that time

I agree remove Dilfer, Flacco, Foles and Johnson

10. HurrayTitans!

This actually presents part of the entire argument, subjectivity on definitions.

What is an “elite” QB?
    What is a “franchise” QB?
    What is a “game manager”?

All terms thrown around so easily in an effort to continue pushing the idea QB is the be all end all.

Edit: another subjective part of this is the lack of patience. People are so quick to label a player (not just QB) without giving enough time to actually grade. Happens often, but currently is the Lawrence grade. He’s got 1 s**t season (excuses of HC aside) and 1 decent season but some have already labeled him as the titans next Manning hurdle to overcome.

We also have AJ brown in Philly. He was paid a s**t ton to perform for 4 years. He had a great season. There’s still more time needed to determine winner/loser of that trade.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar