Talib and Manningham = Potheads

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by TorontoTitanFan, Apr 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Source: http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2008/wwhi040808.htm

Talib admitted that he tested positive THREE times while in college.

Manningham lied and claimed that he never tested positive. He later backtracked when it became clear that he had at least TWO positive tests while in college.

“There is no way I’d touch (Talib),” one team told PFW. “He’s gotten into a lot of trouble, and he still does not get it.”

“He’s got a laundry list of issues,” another team executive said of Talib's off-the-field behavior. “He’s not a one-time offender. Give a guy like him money, and it never gets better. It only gets worse.”

Hmm... Sounds like a CB we all know too well.

2. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with smoking weed. I know I can go on and on about this topic but weed is not a bad thing. So what? They smoked some mary jane and now they're bad players? No. Weed shouldn't be illegal becaue it can't kill you. As Katt Williams once said "You have never heard of anyone overdosing on weed, but if you take 11 asprin, it will be your last headache"...go easy on the guys. Weed isn't bad.

3. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I think you're missing the point by a lot.

I also smoke weed somewhat regularly (I'm also Canadian and it's not really a big deal up here). I don't think it makes you a bad person at all.

However, in a league that has banned marijuana and suspends you for smoking it, you have to be a moron to even get near the stuff. These guys are dumb enough to (potentially) throw away millions of dollars just to get high. Are they the kind of guys we can rely on? Maybe. I definitely think it's possible to give up smoking once you get to the pros (I even think it's possible to be smart about it and only smoke in the offseason, ensuring that you never get caught). However, this has to raise some red flags.

I know that I would have no problem never smoking again if someone offered me that kind of money.

4. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I see your point. But I don't think that we're going to land either of the guys...so it doesn't really matter in the end. Plus, these days, if you're a big player, you don't really get drug tested. I think the league needs to stop the "drug witchhunt" and move on to finding people who use steroids and HGH....that's what the league really needs to be concerned about. I think that the steroid use in sports is an epidemic (Roger Clemmons) and the league needs to stop it. Marijuana isn't the problem. It doesn't give people unfair advantages, and it certainly doesn't harm anyone. I know these guys are getting paid big bucks, but in the end, its their lives and they can smoke if they want to...and then they can pay the piper in the end.

5. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

Have you ever heard of Ricky Williams? I don't mind guys who smoke weed as long as they don't get caught. Usually in college the team finds out well before the test which means these guys knew it was coming but still couldn't resist it.

6. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

I really don't think you understand how society works. Obviously some people don't think smoking weed is wrong. Unfortunately it's still against the law and you can get in trouble for it. An nfl team does not want someone who constantly breaks the law. Anyone making that kind of money should be able to quit smoking weed for that much money.

7. Architect

Architect Pain Train

Add Desean Jackson and Adarius Bowman to this list.

Desean story: Suspended from the Cal-Stanford game because of getting caught using marijuana.
    http://www.tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=108

Bowman's story: Bowman's numbers are insane, and combined with his measurables and GAME TIME speed i thought he would be a great pick for the Titans. He initially played football AND basketball for UNC but was kicked off the team for marijuana. Sat out a year then balled out at OK State. Recently caught in Athens (he is from TN - Chatt) with weed.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/apr/02/oklahoma-state-star-bowman-arrested-marijuana-char/

8. Ubiq

Ubiq BAMF

Weed is a cultural thing. In some cultures it's ok, but in ours it's not. Moral of the story: Even if it won't harm or kill you, don't smoke it when you're on the brink of becoming a millionaire.

If you were a top prospect for whatever sport they play in India, would you be caught eating beef a few weeks before draft day?

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I don't think we're in the majority, but this is exactly how I feel.

But any player that fails "multiple" drug tests, even for marijuana, throws up big red flags to me. If these guys can't get around the system in college, its hard to think they'll shape up and do it in the NFL.

10. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Its really easy to sweat thc out of your system. There are now modern day cleansers that can fool any drug test. What I'm saying is that its not a horrible crime to smoke marijuana. I agree that the players shouldn't smoke it A LOT but the NFL can be stressful, and I think that if they want to partake in the sweetleaf, then they should ultimately be able to enjoy. I think once these guys get into the NFL they won't be surrounded with so much peer pressure, so it won't be around most likely. I know Nashville is a big weed town, but I think our players should be alright and if they're going to smoke, atleast do it in a safe environment and GET IT OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM BEFORE TESTS!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar