Taking a Punter in round 1.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by jessestylex, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Has any team ever done that? Just think if some team did that and ended up in the playoffs cause they always had excellent special teams. Someone should use all their first 7 picks and just stack their special teams with big fast hard hitting guys, punters with big legs and returners like Devin Hester.

2. 24

24 Starter

Yeah, sure.

3. Bababooey

Bababooey Veteran

This hardly warranted a thread. Ray Guy was the first and only Punter selected in the 1st round. Round 1, pick 23.

4. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I remember when Fatakowski was taken in the 1st by the Raiders, that's almost as bad as a punter.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

well every year special teams end up doing something stupid to lose a game. missed tackles, touching the ball when they shouldnt... remember 2 years ago when we had nobody that could hold onto a punt? would have been nice then if we had special teams full of pro bowlers. specials teams is a after thought in the draft, but i think a weak special teams will ruin your season sooner or later. we have a decent punter and Mariani is a good returner but we dont have any play makers out there.

6. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

Name the punter who was worth the pick coming out of college. Ray Guy is about the only name on that list; and even he took a few years to hit "legend" status.

7. Sonic28

Sonic28 Starter

Ray Guy and Janikowski were both Raiders...anyone find that funny? The Oakland Raiders "Commitment to Special Teams Excellence".

8. Sonic28

Sonic28 Starter

2010-2011 San Diego Chargers

9. Tackhead #9

Tackhead #9 Harder, better, faster, stronger

I'm a big fan of Ray Guy, so I thought it was worth looking at the 1973 draft to check his value, and I wouldn't say the Raiders missed out on much. There were only two HOFers from the first round, one taken at 4, long before the Raiders took Guy, and Joe DeLamielleure, taken three picks after Guy at 26.

Beyond that, Jaws and Brad Van Pelt were in the second round, and Tom Jackson was a late draft acquisition for the Broncos.

The jewel and the steal of the draft was obviously Dan Fouts in the third, and the Raiders could have feasibly taken both Guy and Fouts if they wanted.

So I would have to say Guy, who I regard as the epitome of punters, wasn't too bad a pick. If not for his position, I'd say his talent and dominance would have made him a first ballot HOFer. Easily.

As for recent years, Janikowski has been good for the Raiders for a long time: good, but not enough to warrant the draft position. Nick Folk was a disappointment. Hester has worked for the Bears. It's more miss than hit going special teams early on.

Ultimately, one thing you have to ask: could Ray Guy have been had later in the draft? I'm inclined to think he would have been.

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

The words; Punter and 1st round, should NEVER be put together in the same sentence. I wouldn't even draft a kicker, a guy who scores points, before the 3rd.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar