Switching to the 3-4 Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by xpmar9x, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Since Fisher is gone, i'd say there is a slim chance we switch to 3-4 defense. Everyones excuse was that we wouldn't bring in a new defensive scheme when Fish has always done 4-3. Well he's gone now. Now most people say it'll take a few years to fill in all the pieces, but I think we could do it in a season. The draft would have to be all defense, but we could do it. I'm not saying I want the 3-4, I'm just saying we could switch if we needed to. Here's how the draft should go:

1st Round - Von Miller - OLB - Best 3-4 OLB in the draft, amazing pass rusher.
    2nd Round - Cameron Heyward - DE - At 6'5 290, big and great motor.
    3rd Round - Kendrick Ellis - NT - 6'5 340, huge NT.
    4th Round - Kelvin Sheppard - ILB - Monster tackling machine

In those 4 rounds, we now have 4 starters.

DE: Heyward | Sen'Derrick Marks
    NT: Ellis
    DE: Jason Jones | Tony Brown

OLB: Derrick Morgan (iffy about this)
    ILB: Gerald McRath | Will Witherspoon
    ILB: Kelvin Sheppard | Rennie Curran
    OLB: Von Miller

Very young team, but could grow and get better. We wouldn't resign Tulloch or Babin, which would save some money. We would need a few other FAs for added depth. And not sure what we would do at QB, but we could switch to the 3-4... if needed. :eek:

2. ScotTitan

ScotTitan Starter

Very do-able IMO.

3. Finnebosch

Finnebosch I am vengeance.

I would spend our second on a safety (assuming we don't grab someone). I think we could use Brown as a starting 3-4 end.

I don't think Morgan would be able to transition to a 3-4 OLB so I kinda hope we move forward as a 4-3 defense. I think Morgan has the potential to be top ten DE and I would hate to see potential go to waste like that.

4. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Agreed

5. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I don't think it's realistic to expect your first four picks to all step in and immediately be starters. That would be the case in a perfect world, but it's just not likely to happen.

Plus, this whole plan would be thrown off if any other teams decided to start a run on 3-4 guys.

6. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

It's a moot point fellas, Morgan can play the 3-4 end easily. The guy is 280 and very stout against the run, you don't have to be 300 to play a 3-4 end. It's not like he's a Mathis or Brandon Graham, the dude is just fine in either the 3-4 or 4-3 at end.

7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

He was never the Mathis-Freeney type speed rusher anyway.

8. TitansBlue

TitansBlue Camp Fodder

I'm not sure we have the linebackers for it at this point

Likely though, you'd have to devote most of the draft to defense I'd think in that case (mainly, no QB)...and it's also a lot to ask a new, young defense to immediately do well that season

9. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Agreed on Morgan at DE. Jacob Ford might be able to play OLB.

10. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

I've been thinking that a switch to the 3-4 is possible, but it would take a huge commitment from the FO. We'd have a D-coordinator in who can coach it and there aren't that many guys that really know the workings of a 3-4. Plus we'd need to bring in some free agents and shell out some serious bucks. But it can be done and done this season. I like the draft you have there, especially Von Miller at 8. The problem is we need a free safety that can run and stand up to some thumping (assuming Griffin takes the Reed/Polomalu role). Change that 2nd round pick to a safety, 3rd round NT is perfect (the kid from Baylor has been tearing up the Senior Bowl, rollin' 340 I believe).

Draft:

First: Von Miller
    Second: Rahim Moore
    Third: Kendrick Ellis/Phil Taylor

Free Agent Signings:

Lamarr Woodley
    Stewart Bradley

Starters:

DE: Morgan | Jones
    NT: Ellis/Taylor or big body free agent
    LB: Miller | Woodley | Bradley | McRath
    CB: Finny | Verner
    S: Griffin | Moore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar