Switching to a 3-4 D? How would it work for us?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ScotTitan, Jan 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I agree with everyone who said the front 7 do not have the skill set to play a 3-4. Right now, getting those players that could play 3-4 would not get done during this off season that is for sure.

2. xBrah

xBrah Hope we get a new SS

Id imagine Dave Ball would be a pretty good 3-4 DE as well as prob Jason Jones. They've both got the size for it.. I'd think McRath could cut it as well as Tulloch. Not sure what we would do with Derrick Morgan, don't know that he could play the OLB. We'd still need a good NT and a couple OLBs..

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I saw that NT playing for the ponies a few weeks ago ...

some of the personel decisions are just baffaling. Let Johnson go and acquired Haye - and yes I know Johnson was on the pratice squad of a PO bound team and that they would not cut anyone to retain a rookie who was not active, but still there he is.

Not saying Johnson is any good, but at least he has the size to be an NFL DT.

4. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

The 3-4 could work out for us, but it would take a couple free agent signings and the right draft.

None of our current DT's, minus Jones and Brown, would fit in the 3-4 they'd all have to be cut or traded. There is a chance Tony Brown could play end in the 3-4 it would be worth it to have him switch. Jason Jones really is the perfect fit for the 3-4, he's 290, good against the run and can really rush the passer. The same goes with Morgan, although he's a tad small for the scheme. I Luckily he holds up against the run very well he could bulk up in upcoming years and still retain his ability to rush the passer. I also think Hayes could fit pretty well in the 3-4 and have success.

Griffin would fit the Polomalu/Reed role of safety in the 3-4 very well in my eyes, he'd be the same kind of ballhawk they are given a chance to learn the scheme. Finny and Verner are fine, but Hope would have to go and be replaced with someone with more range.

The issue is with our LB's, but it's not like they are any good in our current scheme anyway. This is where the draft and free agency would be huge. If we can sign Woodley and Stu Bradley we'd really be on the right track. Draft Von Miller and another rush backer and we're looking sweet.

We would receive some pretty good comp picks in the draft letting players that don't fit our scheme walk, namely Tulloch, Ford, Hope and Babin and also save quite a bit against the cap. Not to mention turds on offense like Scaife and Gage.

We could get the personnel in this season to fit the 3-4 but it would take a commitment from Bud in free agency and drafting the right pieces but were are not as far off as many believe.

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I don't see any DC coming in and making the change to a 3-4 in a make-or-break season for Fisher and the possibility of a shortened training camp.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. memphis_raven

memphis_raven Starter

You would need a couple of big guys inside but you could pick them up in FA and draft. Texans are making the change and to me it's more of a head scratcher for their personnel.

Also as with teams like the Packers, you don't have to make a hard switch; you can mix and match, play hybrid.

7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

We kind of run a makeshift 3-4 sometimes with Ford in his 2 point stance, and we used to go back and forth every once in awhile with Schwartz with the actual 3-4. We could make it work with the people we have, just make the DE a DE/LB. Isn't that the scheme that Merriman came from in College? Basically a 4-3, but that DE is also liable for some coverage occasionally. It's not all that groundbreaking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar